Noob q.: Can you download & save files in Safari?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by anotherone, Mar 3, 2011.

1. anotherone macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2011
    So - not yet bought an iPad, but planning to. It's going to be mostly about playing / consuming, usual sort of thing.

But also, if I want to do part of my job on an ipad, I need to be able to go to websites, and download pdf or word docs, and save them. I'm happy to transfer them to itunes at a later point if i can save them in the first place.

Can the iPad save docs, or is there an app that does the job?

2. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Aug 8, 2010
    Not in Safari, but you can in iCab. Goodreader and Dropbox will also be must haves for you.
  3. rezatayebi macrumors regular

Apr 5, 2007
    Safari can't. But if you use Terra Browser, which is free, you can download files and save web pages. Also Filer is a great app for downloading.
  4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Jul 17, 2008
    There's also File Browser. You can download files from Safari, and save them on the iPad or onto a shared folder in your wifi network.
  5. anotherone thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2011

Easy decision now - and lots of choice. It will go nicely with my new MBP 13 inch i'll be getting at the same time :)

(I travel a lot - portability and battery are everything to me - not graphics)
  6. camelsnot macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2011
    then an air would've been better for travel versus a mbp.
  7. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Jul 24, 2008
    Safari can if you jailbreak and download Safari Download Manager Plug in. Love it.
  8. anotherone thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2011
    it's an old debate but...

For my purposes, I think an air is underpowered. I'm computer programmer, and regularly have Eclipse, tomcat, mysql, apache, firefox, skype & thunderbird open at the same time. Not including putty (on windows), irc chat program etc