noob: Quicken for Mac or MS Money w/Fusion?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seenett, Dec 12, 2007.

1. seenett macrumors regular

I am getting closer day by day to making the switch to Mac. In a previous thread I asked if I should get an imac and macbook or just a macbook pro. Thanks to the many responses, I have decided on a macbook and a 22" external monitor. Have to pull the trigger after Christmas cause all I asked for was Apple gift cards!

Anywho, I plan on going (almost) 100% Apple - iwork instead of MS Office; ical/mail/adress book instead of Outlook. The only application I am unsure about is Microsoft Money - which I use prety much as a checkbook register for several bank accounts. For the Mac, Quicken seems like my only real option. I haven't been able to get a straight answer on IF my data (7 years worth) can be converted to Quicken for Mac. I know it can be converted to Quicken for Windows, then to Quicken for Mac, but I believe this would require purchasing both QfW and QfM ($60 each). Even then, there is a strong possibility that all the data wouldn't convert, or that I would be left with very basic data - 8 character limit on payee, payor, accounts, category names, etc.

Another option would be to buy a copy of VM Fusion ($80) and continue to run MS Money as is - without losing any data. I know Boot Camp would accomplish this for free, but don't want to re-boot every time I need to open Money. I have original, purchased copies of Money and WinXP already.

Comments? Suggestions? Thanks!

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Quicken for Mac isn't great. I tried switching to it for a while and gave up. I'd suggest running Fusion to use Money instead. Even if it's the only app you use it for, it's nice to have a Windows VM around for the occasional Windows-only apps you still need.

3. dcl macrumors regular

dcl

I've used both for years, and now as a Mac user, continue to use both through VMWare Fusion.

Windows Quicken - does a better on personal/business accounting

MS Money - does a better job keeping track of my stock investments

Have not fround a decent Mac native accounting program yet

4. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

I would say wait a little bit and wait to see what Intuit has for Quicken 2008. I know the interface will be much improved and it will have some pretty cool features. I do not know the exact date of release but when it does I think it's be worth the wait.

It is however a complete departure from the current Quicken 2007 and it is going to be more Maclike. Trust me, the current version sucks, but the next one will be good.

Now this is me completely speculating, but this is what I'm hoping for, Quicken comes out with the 2008 version @ Macworld (And I don't know if that is when they will release) along with an iPhone Quicken. That would be nice.

5. Tom J macrumors regular

Every couple of years I would research personal finance programs for the Mac and would inevitably reject both Quicken and Money. Quicken and Intuit for their business practices and Money for a lack of features.

What's changed in the last couple of years? Have Quicken and Money improved? Is there an emerging killer application worth looking at?

6. GregE macrumors 6502

VM Fusion can be had for a little over half of your price.

I just got mine from Amazon. It's currently $62.99 with free shipping and a $20 rebate so that will make it $42.99. The rebate ends on 12/31/07 so I would recommend going ahead and buying it now. Mine just came in today.

http://www.amazon.com/VMware-Inc-VMFUSMBX2-Fusion-Mac/dp/B000UK3GVA/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1197560044&sr=8-1

7. seenett thread starter macrumors regular

Sweet! I will order it now! Thnks for all the feedback!

8. jelloyacket macrumors member

You might take a look at iBank. It's got a nice interface, with enough features for me, anyway.

9. HugMnster macrumors member

You might look at crossover office an see if it will run in it. you can download a demo copy an try it before you buy.
    I have used it tin the past for some ms programs on linux box.
    jack