Noobie question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marty13612, Nov 9, 2011.

1. marty13612 macrumors newbie

I have a blackberry that has no sim card. Ijust got an Iphone 4 that is unlocked. If I go to my provider will they still make the iphone work even though I have no SIM card? Thank you.

2. CdnMacJen macrumors member

Your iPhone is only an expensive iPod touch without a sim card. You need a sim card to use it as a phone. Your provider will give you a micro sim card, if you ask for one. If you live in Canada, just go to the Apple store for a free micro sim card, as the providers will charge you $10 or so for one.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If you're currently paying monthly for service through your provider, go to them, get a SIM card and ask them to perform a serial number change on your account. Give them the IMEI of the iPhone 4 and the SIM card number and you're golden.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When you say you have a blackberry with no SIM, do you mean that you are on a CDMA network like Verizon, Sprint, MetroPCS, etc? As far as I know, you can't get an iPhone onto one of those services, even if unlocked, unless it was originally with that company (i.e. if you bought someone's Verizon iPhone 4, you might be able to get Verizon to provision it to your account, but it won't work with Sprint; if you bought an unlocked GSM iPhone it won't work with any CDMA provider, ever). If you are already on a GSM service, then, as the posters above said.

5. marty13612 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I didn't buy it at the Apple Store will I still get a free one?