Normal Applecare iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by henrys, Jul 14, 2014.

1. henrys macrumors regular

henrys

Who here thinks normal applecare can be applied to an iPhone 6? If you have a retail box unit of applecare with an unused registration code?

Spoke to applecare and few weeks ago, they completely removed applecare off their system so its only applecare+, is it wise to save an unused box version of applecare for the iPhone? or use it now with an iPhone 5s?

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Obviously it's impossible to tell at this stage, but I'd highly, highly doubt you could apply normal AC to the next model of iPhone.

They seem to be pushing AC+ pretty hard - also, don't you have to buy the AC plan after purchasing the product?

3. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Just curious why you'd want plain old AC versus AC+ for the iPhone 6. Do you know the difference?

AC+ gives you two incidents of ADH (Accidental Damage and Handling) at $XX per incident.

That means water damage, throwing it into traffic, slamming it against the wall, maliciously jumping on it, tossing it off a cliff, etc. Apple asks no questions.

Normal Applecare on the other hand doesn't give you this option. Get your new iPhone 6 water damaged and you're out of luck.

4. henrys thread starter macrumors regular

henrys

Because I don't need accidental cover, +is a lot more expensive....

Only need 2 year cover just in case a fault develops...

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I had an old AppleCare box unopened and I applied it last month to my iPhone 5 that service is ready to expire.
    Some including me like the old cheaper AppleCare that extended the manufacturer defect coverage another year.
    I think they should still offer both options.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Are you able to read the contractual obligations that Apple has in the box? if there is nothing in there that specifically states that they CAN NOT refuse applying it to a given future product (I doubt they would do that to themselves) then they have no obligation to honor it for future products. Whether they WILL honor it remains to be seen with future product releases, obviously.

7. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I thought that might be why, but I asked just to make sure.

I don't have an answer for you, but I'll just say that personally, I'm glad for the + option. I'm careful, but a lot of the people in my life aren't. I get the extra coverage to protect myself from them.

That said, I do agree that Apple should give the option to have the + part of AC or not.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So anyway, what's the difference in cost that we are talking?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You could find them for around $30-40 before.
    I think Apple discontinued them completely and even if you have an old box you should activate it now before it's too late. Doubt they will let it go on the next iPhone version.

10. henrys thread starter macrumors regular

henrys

Any new information regarding this? Tried calling apple, both times they weren't helpful one saying you can register old applecare to iPhone 6 but have to be on the phone and other advisor said you can't do it at all?

11. Angelo921 macrumors 6502

I am also interested in the answer to this as well. Does anyone know?

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It doesn't look like non + AppleCare is being offered anymore for iPhones.

If all you care about is extended warranty, you should check to see if you have a credit card which offers extended warranty protection. That's probably your best bet, and will cost you nothing.

13. Angelo921 macrumors 6502

What if I already purchased my iPhone 6 using AT&Ts next plan which means that I didn't have to buy it upfront. How can I take advantage of my credit card offer then? Perhaps set up that card to auto pay my ATT bill each month?

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You'd have to ask the credit card company. But my guess is, that doesn't apply because technically, you're not actually buying the phone with your credit card, but buying on credit that AT&T extended to you separately.

By putting the Next payments on your credit card, you're just transferring the balance of that loan onto your card. Still not technically a purchase.

Again, the card company may think differently about this. Best thing is to ask them.