Normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rubined, Oct 20, 2012.

1. rubined macrumors member

My iPhone 5 will charge to 100% with plug symbol then it sometimes drops to light lightning bolt. If I unplug it and plug back in it'll go back to plug symbol but drop back to bolt a few minutes later. Why would it do this? Faulty battery? I set up my phone as new

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

I don't think it should happen but it does seem to be normal. I had it with my 4S and also have it with my third generation iPad too. I haven't been checking my iPhone 5 enough to say it does it too but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. With my iOS devices the actual percentage also fluctuates like that. With the iPad it started happening after I upgraded to iOS 6. I suspect it's a software issue in the way iOS determines the battery level rather then a hardware fault with battery or anything else.

3. rubined thread starter macrumors member

So this is not a hardware defect that I should exchange it for?

4. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

It's normal. The iPhone switches from charging at 99% to fully charged like that to condition the battery. This is so the battery doesn't lose health if you have it plugged in for 8 hours while you sleep. It keeps the battery running in top shape. The iPad does this too.

5. Noisemaker Guest

This is the correct answer. This keeps the battery from being worn out when it's plugged in past full charge.

All it does is discharges a bit, then recharges it.

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

+1

Good advice.

now stop worrying and enjoy the handset.

Another tip to reduce battery life woes.............

Go into settings and turn off the battery % ;)

7. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Glad I could help.

8. rubined thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses. One thing, when it goes down to 99% it never recharges to 100

9. Noisemaker Guest

It's what's basically a "float stage". It might say 99%, but it's at full charge. It's just discharging again when it hits 100%.