Normal?

rubined

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
My iPhone 5 will charge to 100% with plug symbol then it sometimes drops to light lightning bolt. If I unplug it and plug back in it'll go back to plug symbol but drop back to bolt a few minutes later. Why would it do this? Faulty battery? I set up my phone as new

Mr.C

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I don't think it should happen but it does seem to be normal. I had it with my 4S and also have it with my third generation iPad too. I haven't been checking my iPhone 5 enough to say it does it too but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. With my iOS devices the actual percentage also fluctuates like that. With the iPad it started happening after I upgraded to iOS 6. I suspect it's a software issue in the way iOS determines the battery level rather then a hardware fault with battery or anything else.

rubined

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
So this is not a hardware defect that I should exchange it for?

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
It's normal. The iPhone switches from charging at 99% to fully charged like that to condition the battery. This is so the battery doesn't lose health if you have it plugged in for 8 hours while you sleep. It keeps the battery running in top shape. The iPad does this too.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
It's normal. The iPhone switches from charging at 99% to fully charged like that to condition the battery. This is so the battery doesn't lose health if you have it plugged in for 8 hours while you sleep. It keeps the battery running in top shape. The iPad does this too.
This is the correct answer. This keeps the battery from being worn out when it's plugged in past full charge.

All it does is discharges a bit, then recharges it.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
+1

Good advice.

now stop worrying and enjoy the handset.

Another tip to reduce battery life woes.............

Go into settings and turn off the battery % ;)

rubined

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
This is the correct answer. This keeps the battery from being worn out when it's plugged in past full charge.

All it does is discharges a bit, then recharges it.
Thanks for the responses. One thing, when it goes down to 99% it never recharges to 100

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.