Norman Lear, Kennedy Honors Recipient: "Archie Bunker Wouldn't Even Have Voted For Trump!"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Aug 6, 2017.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This says a lot from the creator of the biggest celebrity bigot. That said, Norman Lear has bigger fish to fry, as he's taking Trump to task for defunding the Arts.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...oree-to-skip-white-house-reception-in-protest

Can't say I disagree with him. At the end of the entire Archie Bunker Franchise (it ended with Archie Bunker's Place in the early 1980s), Bunker had gone full circle on his bigotry, and disavowed it. Too bad Trump couldn't do the same.

BL.

2. chown33 macrumors 604

Now I can't help wondering if other fictional TV characters would have voted for, um, the "reality TV" character.

It almost makes me feel like I'm a holodeck character with just enough self-awareness to speculate on whether the holodeck or the so-called "outside world" is more real.

Or there's only a single green pill labeled "Eetmi", but not a red or blue one.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Alex P Keaton wouldn't have voted for him either. And he loved Nixon.

4. daflake, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017

daflake macrumors 6502a

What it says is that "I hate Trump, therefore, my charcters also hates Trump". It doesn't say much at all actually except that Mr. Lear hates Trump and didn't vote for him.

These comparisons are getting really dumb actually and we wonder why the left and right can't talk to each other. :rolleyes:

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It does bring to mind that during the original run of All in the Family, there was a small handful of viewers who saw Archie as the morally right, put-upon hero of the show, rather than a closed-minded bigot.

Today we call people like that Trump's base.

6. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Spoken like someone who has never watched an episode of All in the Family, its spinoffs (Good Times, Maude, The Jeffersons, Sanford and Son), or Archie Bunker's Place in their life.

BL.

7. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Archie wouldn't even use the word "breast" around Edith. I highly doubt he would be voting for the p***ygrabber in chief.

8. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

So another make believe bourgeois Hollywood person is making a political speech --- their newest cocaine? At least this one is about the Arts and has some actual nexus to Hollywood but no more persuasive.

9. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Doesn't make what he has said any less true. and Lear even created and worked with the narrative to explain the entire race issue with the world so it can be easily understood. All Trump has done is conflate it to where we are thrown back to the time before Lear's work.

But I digress; let us know when Trump makes progress in resolving racial tensions in this country.

BL.

10. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

When do we get to start referring to him as "Divider in Chief"?

11. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

That already happened when he was grabbing women by the *****, and talking about their menstrual cycle.

Additionally, seeing that we see little or nothing of Carson or Omarosa, and has made two different races all but run into hiding, he's definitely earning that moniker.

BL.

12. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Or any more true.

If Hollywood's lecturing missives were weighty then Hillary would be President.

13. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

There is more truth to the racial narrative that has been portrayed by Hollywood than one tends to believe.

Archie Bunker and bigotry.
    Tom and Helen Willis in the first interracial marriage portrayed since Loving v. Virginia.
    The Evans family and their entire struggle in getting out of the ghetto.

Yet you neglect those same lecturing missives when:

The Jeffersons were successful.
    The Huxtables were successful.
    The Banks were successful.

All that led to Obama being POTUS.

But nah.. they don't carry any weight at all. :rolleyes:

BL.

14. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Duck Dynasty was successful.
    Sharknado was successful.
    Rocky and Bullwinkle was successful.
    Grown Ups was successful.

Tv shows and movies are successful because they cater to their audience.

Hollywood political opinions are about themself and most people can tell the difference.

15. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

None of those dealt with race relations.

BL.

16. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Race relations wasn't the topic but I understand ypur wanting to change the topic.

17. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Race relations is indeed the topic. It was since the very OP when I brought up bigotry. So you may want to re-examine that "topic change".

BL.

18. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Archie knew how to change - many times within a 30-minute window. And he wasn't real. And somehow, even if they put a put a picture of Carroll O'Connor in a chair in the Oval Office, I think we'd be better off.

19. Gutwrench, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017

Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Reread my initial post. It was directed at the article, which wasn't.

20. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

I'd vote for Carroll O'Connor in a heartbeat. Keep in mind that Archie in the early days of All in the Family would have **** a brick if he had seen his character, Chief William Gillespie on his next show, In The Heat of the Night. Gillespie marries a black woman, and has Carl Weathers (Apollo Creed from Rocky) as his assistant chief.

Far cry from Archie Bunker bigotry, and again, race relations taking to the fore from Hollywood.

BL.

21. daflake macrumors 6502a

Grew up on them thank you but keep trying!