North American Union

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Nov 17, 2007.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I find it unbelievable, but I don't know if it is for the same reason. How is this even an issue? We are too selfish for this to happen anyway, at least to the degree they are worrying about. Making a jump from making sure meat inspections are done right in all of North America to there being no more United States does not make any sense.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, I see several possibilities:

1. The U.S., Canada and Mexico use this union to their advantage in making trade easier with the rest of the world;
    2. This union turns into another WTO, with the power to trump the decisions of local provinces, states and communities;
    3. This economic union eventually (inevitably?) morphs into a political one, erasing all North American borders and setting us on the path to a one-world government.
    The latter two possibilities are truly frightening.

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I may be a little ignorant in this area, but why are those possibilities frightening? I don't know why I can't wrap my brain around it.

5. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

The day my country becomes more associated with the US is the day I leave for good.

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

oh christ.

north american union - not happening
    "amero" - not happening

this is tin-foil hat stuff.

Plus, like adroit above said, Canadians would fight this to the end even if it were happening.

7. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

I highly doubt that Canada or even Mexico would want to become one nation along with the United States. This is just another dumb conspiracy theory. There will probably never be a global government. Humanity will end up destroying its own dumb self long before we will even begin to unify.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Which, if you do it, you will discover it to be little more than an academic exercise.

9. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

The joining of the three countries will be complete in 2010. :eek:

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

While Mexicans in general like trading with the U.S., they are touchy as all get-out about their national sovereignty. Trying to sell the idea of giving up any sovereignty is about like telling some machismo guy his old lady is lousy in the sack. Good luck on living through it.

Some ideas are like dodos. They ain't gonna fly.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

12. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I don't think it is THAT frightening. I mean the D.O.O.P. and Zapp Brannigan actually make me laugh.

As long as we have Lt. Croker doing the real work in the background, it'll all be good.

How could Nixon being the President of Earth be that bad?

Attached Files:

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

It's taken 56 years so far for the ECSC to evolve into the EU, a body that is clearly not a "United States of Europe." A North American Union will be even less unified for the simple reason that while it's hard to imagine that such a structure would not be politically dominated by the US.

But the US has two real options: strengthen its union with Canada and Mexico, or continue to cede it's position in the world to the EU, China, Union of South American Nations, ASEAN, India... hell even the African Union.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Actually something like this:

Let's say China wants to sell something here that doesn't meet US safety standards...say cars, or steel, or appliances. US tries to keep them out until they meet those standards, but the WTO says sorry, you're signatory to our agreement, you have to let them in. And then auto fatalities go up, or structures decay and collapse quickly, or home fires rise because of substandard appliance wiring....

On the second point, yeah...how'd you like to see the Bush administration -- aaaaaaalllll over the world....?