North Carolina Church Holding Weekly Racists Anonymous Meetings

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Aug 27, 2016.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

a great idea. hopefully it is more effective then AA is.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...rd-north-carolina_us_57c05cb9e4b02673444fc0b2

2. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Interesting concept. Might do the world some good. The 12-step concept as convoluted as it actually has some significant benefits.

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Easy there pal... I'm thinking about somebody who celebrated 45-year mark this month. It can work if you let it work, even if it's not the answer for Hollywood stars who like to get up on the rooftop after 2 weeks and shout it out. I suppose there are stats on which treatments may work best overall, but I'd be the last person to say that statistics are all that matter when it comes to recovering from alcoholism.

Each life recovered is a human being snatched off a sure track of living hell without some kind of treatment, even if the person is lottery-lucky and manages to bootstrap himself into long term recovery. Even that counts as treatment. Usually that doesn't quite cut it, but it can happen. AA's just another option along the way if one wants to explore it.

As far as Racists Anonymous goes, why not? The Twelve Steps have proved pretty adaptable since they're about changing patterns of thought, feeling and behavior, not just setting a glass down (or drug, or cookie, or maybe the N-word). Nowadays even kids in a 12-step program get it that "God as we understand him", or a higher power, need not be a stumbling block. Can make the damn kitchen table be a higher power... anything other than one's own high and mighty self. Once getting past the straw man of religious objection, those steps can seem pretty useful for shifting gears out of any kind of addiction.

I confess I emerged from addiction to Plants v. Zombies by just removing the app. So far, so good.