North Carolina wants to ban sea level measurements

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Scientific American blog post

In NC, there's only a past, not a future, what a bunch of idiots. Who elects these guys?

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

We know who- head in the sand, don't-hold-the-human race-accountable, don't-apply-science, don't-make-me-pay-for-this, conservatives, that's who. :D

You know the people who will literally sink this country in the end. :(

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Actually it is worse that the quotes above imply, for the sea level rate can only be calculated by the NC Division of Coastal Management, and only at the request of the NC Coastal Resources Commission. The level calculated must be used by any state or local government when developing policy related to sea level change.

Bottom line: do not buy seafront property in North Carolina ( a sentiment which was probably responsible for this reprehensible act of political vandalism of science).

Does anybody know whether there is a petition about this?

4. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I did want to go intern at Insomniac.

Now I'm not sure if I went there I could leave the state...

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I'm sure you'd be fine ... provided you have a houseboat.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Do you really need to ask? Conservatives are determined to spread their propaganda that sea levels aren't rising and there is no such thing as man made climate change. Therefore, no need for environment regulations or renewable energy policy that might cost honest, God-fearing, snake handling corporations money--keep the oil flowing. It's all those liberals making up stories.

I just hope that while speaking in tongues, God is telling them to build another ark.

8. 184550 Guest

If anyone's interested in reading something a bit more even handed than that sensational blog post, here's an article from 'The Charlotte Observer'. I'd rather no one have to wade though that pile of **** that blogger just extolled from his mouth to find that link.

9. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

And armoured plated clothing.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Huh. I guess everybody is entitled to their own facts.

How long till NC sets up a state cabinet office called the Ministry of Truth?

Frightening. Not just in and of itself, but that the political atmosphere is crazy enough that someone could actually introduce this without fear of being tarred and feathered.

Just wow.

12. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

The whole rhetorical question thing really gets old. Are you unable to respond in any other way?

Tides have nothing to do with the issue, didn't you read?

----------

The blogger quite accurately captured the mood in NC, one of special interests and ostrich-like legislators trumping true scientific efforts. It's an absolute tragedy that the federal government is going to end up with an enormous bill from flood victims and destroyed infrastructure because a bunch of know nothings control NC. I would like to see all such measurements given over to the US Army Corps of Engineers and have the ultimate decision entirely separated from the poisoned political process.

Science is science and deserves respect. Some people never learn.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Tides have nothing to do with the issue, didn't you read?

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Surely you not saying that more water in the oceans are not causing still higher and higher tides, or more salt intrusion into coastal soil-beds.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Good grief. Obviously, to get any meaningful measurement they have to correct for tidal differences.

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

perhaps they should just make it illegal for the sea level to change :cool:

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

So.. The sea will rise .10 in. every 5 years everywhere except North Carolina ?

Hahahaha.. Gotta go buy some ocean front property in N.C. ;)

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There are many things causing the tides to rise. Over the past 15 years the mean tide has gone up. Some of this is due to massive build out along the coast. Not sure if we can blame glacier melt just yet but that will have some effect.

The more we try to stop and hold back the ocean the more it will fight back and eventually win.

19. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Did you read the article you linked?

It specifically states that a 1 meter sea level rise would be economically detrimental. So the law will require planning processes to ignore this reality in favor of a fantasy which is more economically viable.

It's a-lot like saying "We started this gold mine due to projections that it would yield 100 million tones of gold. As we've mined it's becoming clear these projections were in error and we're only likely to retrieve 50 million tones.

Because this is economically un-palatable we will make all decision hence forth with the assumption that our original estimates were correct despite contrary evidence."

----------

Have you ever considered how much expansion is caused when you heat a body of water the size of the oceans by 2 C?

20. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

They're just following Texas's lead - http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...ays-state-agency-censored-article-2212118.php

21. 184550 Guest

Did you understand my comment? :rolleyes: I'll get this one; obviously not.

I'm not disputing the article (which I read when it ran in 'The Charlotte Observer'), merely the layer of **** that blogger added on top.

22. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Perhaps a positive sign that the climate change deniers are starting to get desperate, as they're resorting to outright censorship to help back up their ideology.

23. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

By layer of bull I assume you mean an editorial explaining how ****ing stupid it is to stick ones head in the sand like this?

Which The Charlotte Observer doesn't state with nearly the warranted vehemence.

There is no reason to report on this story in an "unbiased" manner. If you think it's a good idea to ignore current sea level trends because it'll cause problems for the economy your a ****ing idiot and the media should be making that clear.

24. 184550 Guest

That's because even 'The Charlotte Observer' has a shred of journalistic integrity. Usually that's a hallmark of a genuine news source. ;)