North Dakota Legislature: A fertilized egg has rights of a human

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by adk, Feb 18, 2009.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I've never started a thread in here before, but this one sort of came out of left field.

Source

Your Thoughts?

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Interesting. It has to make it through their senate before it ever becomes an issue, though. Either way, I do think this is a state's issue, so we'll see what happens.

3. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

Change it to fertilized and implanted egg and that's essentially how I feel.

SLC

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

It's weird issue, On one hand it is a state's issue since there is no constitutional amendment saying other wise, but on the other hand since the U.S. Supreme court decided on Roe v. Wade it is also a federal issue. But that's all I am going to add to this thread. Don't feel like being lashed out at. :cool:

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wacky- and that's all I'm going to say about it.

6. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

This will set precedent & abortion will finally be illegal

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- it won't. Keep dreaming.

8. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

No dream, just hope.

9. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

So, (and not to be accusatory) you are of the opinion that government has the right to dictate what a person does with their own body? Just wanting to clarify..

10. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

This probably wouldn't happen in a state with an urban population.

Shame, anyway.

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

This is nothing more than a ploy to have SCOTUS reexamine Roe v. Wade.

It's not going to work.

12. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I know, it's a tuff one, but at the end of the day a human is a human no matter what stage of evolution or development they are at . To a certain extent I think it would be wise to have the 'state ' dictate , like an intermediary of sorts I suppose , protecting the life of the unborn.

13. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

But you didn't answer my simple question. Is it right that government should be able to dictate what a human being does with their own body?

14. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

I think it's great. I firmly believe life begins at conception, and I would regardless of my "religious preferences" abortion has always been a horribly grotesque matter to me.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

See Jon's post above.

16. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Stop with the trapping questions. The point is that because they believe the fertilized egg is a human from day one, it's rights trump the mother's ability to abort it. Since people are going to differ on when it's a human, their interpretation of your question is going to be completely different.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

How is it a trap?

Its a legitamite question. Im sure someone with an opposing viewpoint would ask "SO your alright with the killing of human babies?". Is it still a trap then?

I beleive in the mothers choice. Her body, her choice. Religion and government should stay the hell away from it.

18. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Yes, that's a trap too. Just like the question "Have you stopped beating your wife?" You force the other person to agree with your terms by even answering the question. That's not fair, and it doesn't encourage good discussion.

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

North Dakota has actually tried this twice before in recent times (once in 2004 and I think this past election as well).

Planned Parenthood has actually been very agile in that state, sending these constitutional changes to the ballot box and then having them defeated.

It obviously is an attempt to set up a test case against Roe v Wade, but these efforts are futile for the current period in time.
    Indeed. Kennedy is not going to vote for such an absurd blanket ban, and there's no guarantee that Roberts would either (since we honestly don't know where he stands on the issue).

The 8th Circuit Court would probably nullify it well before it ever gets to SCOTUS, and Scalia and Thomas won't grant Cert to a case they know is doomed to fail.

An all around poor strategy.
    How would you prefer the question to be phrased?

You can't deny that a ban on abortion does indeed restrict personal freedom. There's no way to run from that reality. It does so as much as a speed limit restricts freedoms or a ban on burglary does. The differences between them involve scope and purpose.

20. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Are they going to criminalize IUDs and progestin-only birth control?

21. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Then why the heck leave out vasectomy/tubectomical procedures, spermicides and even condoms....

This frankly seems like another crap... an inspiration probably drawn from the Vatican... "Abortions and condoms increase promiscuity...." I cant decide whether to cry or laugh on this one..

22. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Right, but since the topic at hand is very specific, the purpose of asking a general question is to try and get the person to think in a more abstract way and not apply their personal opinion to a given situation. Take your examples, if we were talking about if it were right to steal, and I asked the question whether or not it was right for the government to limit personal freedoms, people would balk at the supposition that it could be legitimized. This is a special case where one's rights infringe upon another's. The situation is the same for those who believe the fetus is a human from day one. The mother's rights end where the child's right to life is concerned.

Don't beat around the bush and just ask the actual question, do you believe abortion is right or wrong?

23. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

True. But vasectomies and tubectomies (sp? or even a word?), spermicides, and condoms PREVENT the sperm from reaching the egg, whereas progestin-only and IUDs sometimes prevent ovulation, but almost certainly prevent implantation -- therefore, couples using IUDs and progestin-only birth control are murderers.