North Dakota Woman to Hand Out Letters to Fat Kids on Halloween

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Oct 31, 2013.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This lady is an idiot. She should just turn out her lights and not hand out candy to anyone.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162...t-fat-letters-to-obese-kids-during-halloween/

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I agree she is an idiot and Halloween doesn't seem like the occasion to do this even as a free speech thing.

3. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I can pretty much guarantee she is going to be the target of some pranks tonight.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

In defense of the kids, all I can say is...it's not called trick-or-treat for nothing.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Not an effective way to address obesity.

This woman will feel smug, but it won't change much. Although I suppose starting a conversation about obesity could be a thing.

More important is, there are much more effective ways to solve the obesity problem. Has this women been involve in any of them?

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't think kids go out by themselves anymore. She can hand the note to the parents waiting in the car to lug their obese children door to door.

7. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I can see the headlines tomorrow "South Dakota town suddenly out of toilet paper and eggs".

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

9. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I will give extra candy to fat kids just to spite her.

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I wouldn't want to feed the problem either although her solution isn't the best

11. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Haha, this lady seems like an attention seeker to me - people aren't obese because they eat tons of candy on Halloween, it's because almost no-one actually knows what food IS healthy for them and what food is not.

12. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Shenanigans...

The Y94 Playhouse Fargo, ND radio station that broadcasted a woman caller named “Cheryl” saying she wanted to hand out letters to obese children in lieu of candy, is the very same radio station that stirred up national attention in September 2012 with its bit on "Donna the Deer Lady." In less than 24 hours, 2.4 million YouTube viewers clicked on the "Donna" video and listened to the caller saying she thought deer crossing signs encourage deer to cross the road rather than warn drivers.

John Austin, a member of the “Chris John and Jane in the Morning” show on 95.1 has worked at Y-94. He said the letter is almost certainly a hoax.

“It’s their shtick, that’s their thing, it’s what they are kinda famous for,” Austin said. “Kudos to those guys for pulling it off, but the problem becomes you have to be careful how many times you go to that well.”

James said “Cheryl” is most likely a hired voice actor the station paid to call in.

From: Halloween letter that's likely fake creates plenty of nationwide buzz

13. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Coulda just handed out sugar-free sweets. Lecturing kids seems pointless, they never listen.