North Korea agrees to ‘complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula' after Trump-Kim summit

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Future-Proof, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Future-Proof, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018

Future-Proof macrumors regular

Future-Proof

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ic-details.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un signed a document on Tuesday stating that Pyongyang would to work toward "complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula"— a historic concession, which was one of the requirements the U.S. sought at the summit in Singapore.

The historic agreement came after the two leaders held several meetings throughout the day. Trump was asked by a reporter if Kim agreed to denuclearize and he said, “We are starting that process very quickly.”

2. Zenithal macrumors 604

Your article fails to mention Trump agreed to suspending war games with South Korea and asking the Chinese, our friends to lift their sanctions against the DPRK, by which we won't retaliate against the Chinese for doing so.

3. Future-Proof thread starter macrumors regular

Future-Proof

It’s not my article. But it does say:

“Trump said at a press conference that he will be ending joint military exercises between the United States and South Korea“

Btw I’m not a fan of Trump but he’s doing a great job with regards to North Korea.

4. Zenithal macrumors 604

That's not what "your article" refers to...

And what has he done exactly, in your own words, to get such praise?

5. Zenithal macrumors 604

Doesn't matter. It's all a show. I don't support any President giving a terrorist nation state legitimacy.

6. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Oh please...stop being “that guy”. Ok yes you hate trump ok we all get it.

But how quickly we forget just a short time ago what relations were like with NK.

7. Zenithal macrumors 604

I don't hate Trump. I dislike him.

We got nothing but Kim's assurance he won't use his nuclear weapons. Big PR boost for his people. We just legitimized the North Korean government. We gave up war games with our biggest ally apart from Japan in the area. We're due to encourage the Chinese to lift their sanctions against the North Koreans. Who wins in this? The North Koreans, Russians and the Chinese.

You know what would be a big win? Shooting down Kim's plane. That would be a big win. What nation would be mad at us for that? It would solve more problems than meeting with a murderous dictator or invading North Korea.

8. IronWaffle, Jun 12, 2018

IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

My favorite bit from that reporting:

Wow. Makes me wonder what other enticements Trump brought up considering that's from his own wheelhouse. "Look at the legitimacy and celebrity you can have!"? "We should be friends. Did you see yesterday how I treat friends?" Could he have pitched DPRK Apprentice, in which the Supreme Leader could audition political prisoners o compete for their fates?

Hopefully at the group meeting there was more productive substance and early reporting that we're nickel and dining our way out of the DMZ and participating in pageantry bonding with an adversary in a manner that their own internal propaganda machine can use to firm up beliefs that they are an equal on the world stage? I wish I could be that hopeful.

9. Zenithal macrumors 604

Trump should have wiped his bottom lip at that point.

10. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Yes, just a short time ago we had North Korea agreeing to denuclearize. And a short time before that, we had North Korea agreeing to denuclearize. And a short time before that, we had North Korea ageeeing to never develop nuclear weapons.

When someone promises over and over to do something and renegs every time, don’t get excited when they make the same promise for the fourth time.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Pretty much what Zenithal said. Trump the Great Deal Maker got rolled on this one. Kim gets an end to the war games, economic assistance and legitimacy, while Trump gets...promises.

But what did you expect? Trump proudly went into this declaring himself unprepared. Kim almost certainly was. Sounds like he had this agreement all printed and ready for Trump to sign.

MAGA!

12. samcraig macrumors P6

Oh I'm sure Trump (not the US) is going to get something. Maybe it's a lot of beach front property for a hotel and golf course...

13. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I’m not really excited at all, more impressed actually.

The fact that these two hard headed leaders can come together and make these kinds of strides towards peace is an accomplishment that many presidents have never achieved.

The trump nay sayers are always gonna spin it their way. But you can’t take away from facts. That this was an impressive event and the start of something good.

It’s irrelevant how many times they promised before.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

When Obama sent billions in food aid for nothing it was a success, when Clinton gave billions in economic and food for false promises it was a success, when Trump gets them to denuclearization for suspending war games, total and utter failure.

You see the only way to make a great deal according to liberals is to give billions away for nothing.

How quickly do you think we could resume war games? Pretty quickly.

15. 0002378 Suspended

I don't wish this on anyone, but I wonder how much any of you would care about all this political horse$#!t if you found out you had incurable cancer and 3 months.

16. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Gotta love the anti-Trumpers. If this was Obama, they would already be having his head carved on Mt. Rushmore.

17. Strider64 macrumors 6502a

Strider64

I suppose your in the Bill Maher camp hoping that the U.S. Economy tanks? I personally think "vows to work" on denuclearization sounds a lot better than not work on it all and having a nuclear free Korean peninsula sounds better than the alternative. Like it or not Kim Jun Un is the legitimate leader of NOKO. Giving economic assistance can mean more than just $$$, for example food to help the people starving in North Korea would help. Unless you like seeing people starve? It's also not like the U.S. is going to hand over the keys and say "Do what you want Kim Jun Un". I kind of feel sad of people with Doom and Gloom attitudes, but this is what makes the world an exciting place to live in.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What the hell are you talking about? Who said that, and what does it have to do with this?

Other than that, you sound like one of those squishy liberals. :p

If this was Obama, conservatives would’ve been calling for his head on a platter.

19. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yep - things are actually going quite well right now and thats always bad news for the left. Low unemployment, raises, bonuses, hiring, deregulation, North Korea progress, etc, etc. Such BAD news for the Dems ;)

20. Thomas Veil, Jun 12, 2018

Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Be interesting to see how Republicans respond to this as Trump returns to the Western Kremlin.

21. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Maybe, but it doesn't hide the fact that Trump can do no right at all in the liberal\left view. While I was no Obama fan, I still looked at him as President of the greatest country on Earth. I wanted him to do well for our countries sake and know many conservatives\Republicans that felt and feel the same.

The lefts outright hatred for Trump is appalling. Yes, I truly believe he could cure cancer and they would still find a reason to put him down.

Trust me, I know he has his faults. Lots of them. But the fact remains I want him to do well regardless of any of those faults. Our country depends on it and to wish anything different is ant-American in my book.

22. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

This is the full text of the joint agreement (pro tip for for the tl;dr folks... the meat is in the four bulletin points):

Hopefully this will make in-thread debate more specific.

23. CerebralX macrumors 6502

CerebralX

Looking for a place of freedom and rationality
    How typical of all the lefties here on MR to go into full on hate mode whenever Trump is mentioned... You know, it IS possible to praise someone or approve of someone's actions even if you dislike them, right?