North Korea Claims Successful Hydrogen Bomb Test

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Traverse, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

According to The Guardian, unnatural earthquakes where detected near a known nuclear testing site in North Korea and North Korean leaders claim that it was a successful detonation of a miniaturized nuclear bomb.

There's no evidence of this being genuine outside of North Korea's claims. I'm skeptical, but it's best to proceed with caution. Was curious about the thoughts here.

Update: A organization of the UN that monitors for nuclear activity stated that it detected an "unusual" even as well.

Link: http://www.theguardian.com/world/li...-artificial-earthquake-nuclear-test-site-live

2. sim667 macrumors 65816

Its alright though, because Americans can own guns, and nothing bad can happen when you have guns.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yeah, North Korea has a hydrogen bomb. I also get as hard as I did when I was 20.

4. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

On a side note, I guess fish can't really get embarrassed when they fart as its obvious when they do and they would just do it in front of each other like its normal behaviour. We need tolerance like that up here on concrete.

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I imagine our nation's intelligence and photoreconnaissance agencies will be in for some long hours in the days ahead trying to establish what, exactly, went on in North Korea.

The "good" things about nuclear testing is that with modern technology, its possible for our analysts and scientists to gain a pretty clear idea of exactly what sort of weapon was tested, even though they cannot gain access to the site itself. Airborne sensors will take air samples looking for particular isotopes, and specifically the mix of such isotopes, to look for clues as to the process. Other scientists will look at the seismological data to determine how the explosion (if any) took place; and to gain a better idea of the potential explosive yield of any such device.

My guess is that North Korea detonated some form a a fission weapon that was successfully "boosted" with the addition of Tritium. Such "boosted" weapons, while terrifying and powerful; are a long way from the almost unlimited power and complexity of a full fusion weapon. It seems unlikely that North Korea would be able to engineer a full fusion weapon without first conducting a far more comprehensive test program than they have previously.

6. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Though nothing is confirmed, most seem to believe it was a nuclear weapon, but not a hydrogen bomb.

7. sim667 macrumors 65816

I've also seen suggestions that there was a natural earthquake and DPRK are pretending to have let off a bomb.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

H-Bomb, my eye.

Boosted fission device at best. With no delivery vehicle.

Color me unimpressed.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So it's been what, 5-6 years since their last test?

Has anyone learned from this history yet? The North Korean people start to feel unrest due to squalor conditions outside the capital, the regime detonates a weapon, the US agrees to send food aid, the unrest is pacified, and we continue the same cycle 5 years from now.

Now I'm guessing this is all over the news so that no one has to discuss that the TPP keeps picking up sponsors, and is going to be voted on shortly....you know, something that actually matters?

10. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

I read on BBC News that the UN and US reckon it wasn't a powerful enough blast for an H-Bomb, be interesting to see if China comes off the fence about this?

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    You know, for a country that's governed by madmen, and administered by half literate sycophants, is greatly disliked, sanctioned, and/or ignored by practically every other nation in the world (save for it's one ally, who treats them like an awkward stepbrother at the best of times), you almost have to give them props for being able to come this far.

It's like watching an evil brain damaged child try to pull off a particularly cruel practical joke.

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I remember when the "experts" believed the NK regime couldn't survive without Kim Il Sung. They've proven resilient if nothing else.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I'd say that as long as there's a direct heir to the Kim dynasty, it'll manage to just hang on. But the moment there isn't, the government will cannibalize itself while vying for that ultimate position.

14. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

If you have Netflix, I suggest watching the documentary "The Propaganda Game". It gives interesting insight into North Korea's brainwashing.

15. lobeyonekenobi, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016

lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

It's time big brother gave little brother a good smack, this would wipe the smile off the face of that over-fed pumpkin head leader of theirs, either that or you could send Dennis Rodman over there to sort 'em out:eek:

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

A nation state, even one as impoverished and economically and strategically isolated as North Korea, can still marshall immense resources towards solving one particular engineering problem. A hundred million or two in cash will buy whatever fissile raw materials are needed. And an army of slave labor will build whatever enrichment; processing and testing facilities are needed. The computing part of the engineering can now be done on machines costing a thousand or so dollars. The high-precision machining can be done on CNC mills bought for a few thousand. And of course, having one's own sovereign territory - free from international snooping and interference - lets development proceed undisturbed.

The sad lesson of the past few decades has been: No matter how crummy the cards a dictator might hold - having a nuclear weapon (no matter how kludgy and undeliverable) is still the ultimate Joker. Enough to thoroughly deter any military intervention from outside.

China's role in all this is truly fascinating. Without Soviet and Chinese support North Korea would have collapsed decades ago. But as China has moved towards modernization and a market economy; its position vis-a-vis North Korea has changed. PRK now provides a useful buffer - keeping US military forces several hundred miles from China's Yalu River. The PRK also guarantees China an important role in any Pacific discussions - if only for their influence with the Kim's. And yet the Kim's seem to have a pretty keen understanding of just how far they can push China, without totally losing their support.

17. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Honestly I find this woman completely hysterical.

18. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Maybe we should bomb a neighboring country that has nothing to do with it and then occupy them for 11 years. That'd teach them.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

We'd better preemptively invade or nuke them... Just to be sure. Just think how much our military contracors could make with a N.Korea invasion. Right, Republicans? :rolleyes:

20. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well, well those Mongolians are well known invaders. Best take them out before their hordes threaten us!

21. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

NK media always delivers the news in that overwrought style. Sometimes they're practically sobbing.

22. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

It's like a really bad SNL skit and hard not to laugh at. At the same time I feel bad for them because they are brainwashed to believe that's normal.

If they don't act like this when their supreme leader (or whatever we call the prick these days) walks by they'll likely be shot on the spot. When it reality most are probably wondering where their next meal will come from.

[​IMG]

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Wouldn't you sob if you had to say that kind of crap on TV?

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Would any one consider going to Pyong Yang on a visit? I believe they offer tours via China. I think it would be a fascinating place to experience.

25. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

Maybe it's not that they're brainwashed, as you said maybe it's because like with a lot of countries run by despots are constantly living in fear of their lives if they so much as breathe.

These despots are so insecure they have to be constantly re-assured that they are loved but deep down they know they are thoroughly hated.