North Korea Fires Rocket Over Japan.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Apr 4, 2009.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

BREAKING NEWS
    U.S., Japanese confirm launch; second stage booster apparently succeeds
    [​IMG]

Link

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wow. It worked. I'm impressed. Really, I was half expecting them to wheel out an Estes 3-stage "D" engine rocket and try to get us to believe it went into orbit with some creative video production work.

Now we'll see what kind of action the world takes in response. NK is famous for it's brinksmanship style of negotiating concessions, and this is likely another move in that game. What will the world community give the North Koreans in exchange for them taking their missile development into hiding again? What does North Korea want?

4. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Hopefully Kim Jong Il will die before anything more serious happens. I guess his health is still very poor.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I suspect Kim's passing will change little in that country. It certainly won't slow the North Korean military's pursuit of a reliable delivery system for their nukes.

6. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

This is not the first time so I doubt we'll see much change on the international political scene. The problem is that NK needs to bother China enough that they feel like doing something about it

7. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

I thought the same. I am shocked NK was able to accomplish the task. Of course we now have to give them even more aid to keep them playing nice in the eyes of the worthless UN while they still develop more WMD and their delivery systems.

The world really failed with this country by rewarding it every time it does something horrible. It sadly reminds me of the Roman tributes to the Huns...we all know how that eventally turned out.

8. pooky macrumors 6502

Sort of hearkens back to a certain British Prime Minister and his dealings with a certain whacko German dictator...

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

What happened to the threat of Japan shooting the damn thing down, if it passed over their territory??

Pretty weak, IMO. :mad: I smell diplomacy, and it stinks. Bullies only understand force.

10. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

Tell me,

What would NK say if China and Japan started launching ballistic missiles over NK airspace?

I'll bet they'd be pissed and threaten military actions.

SLC

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

NK does have a problem, well many, but finding open water is one of them.

They could shoot South, towards the Philippines, or North/West over Russia.

Yeah, right. :D

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yes, rewarding North Korea for their bluster is the worst possible alternative -- except for all the others.

13. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea no kidding

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Not bad. They're only about 95 years behind Robert Goddard, and about 650-700 behind the Chinese!

I believe they said they would shoot down any debris falling into their territory, which I guess would have included the missile itself had the second stage failed. But since it actually fired, it wasn't necessary.

I have to wonder, though, just what does NK need a communications satellite for?

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Kim Jong Il has a thing for Desperate Housewives...

17. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

The weird thing is, this could be true. He must be among the strangest dictators in modern history.

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Any plans to recover this thing?

U.S. and South Korean officials said the entire rocket, including whatever payload it carried, ended up in the ocean. South Korea said the second stage splashed down about 1,900 miles (3,100 kilometers) from the launch site.
    link

Attached Files:

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Sort of hearkens back to a certain transatlantic nation and its dealings with a certain whacko German dictator...

20. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

I don't see the real problem? Why are NK not allowed satellites too, if that is what they are doing...
    Its fine for USA and other countries to "test/launch" rockets. Why can't NK? Space isn't owned by the US too believe it or not.

As long as no one gets hurt, and they carry on with their space program, whats it our business to judge. Just because they have a bad name (in the medias opinion), doesn't mean they are going to nuke us.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, for one thing, other nations do not typically make it a habit of doing their test firings over the airspace of a country they have avowed as an enemy for decades....

22. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

it wasn't really over air space then, it would of been miles into the atmosphere by then surely?

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, the reality is the North Koreans are certainly testing a rocket for ballistic delivery of a nuclear weapon. As this FAS.org article points out, the differences between a military program and a space program are relatively subtle when dealing with rockets. Also, the North Korean launch had it worked perfectly—and it apparently did not—would not be capable of placing a satellite in the geosynchronous orbit required for communications, rather the launch's profile makes more sense as a way to deliver a nuclear weapon to Japan or even the west coast of the US.

From the article:

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Communist China backs Communist North Korea, is not this the real headline here?

25. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

Government Propaganda. Don't believe everything the media tell you, remember, the media are controlled by the government. And the government are corrupt.

There is no "Reality". How do you know? Have you been? Just chill out man. Its nothing to worry about.
    Also I think if it was a nuclear weapon, they wouldn't of been that stupid and bloody missed their target!