North Korea: Nuclear-capable missile test a success

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shinji, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Galacticos macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

I think it's interesting because its the only thing more dangerous than N.K. but I see similarities in the way the west approach it. Don't talk about it.

Are we not supposed to notice the broader significance of these things?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2017 ---
    But there are many countries that practice honour killings, inequality under sharia law, stoning of adulterers, killing of gays and Jews, subjugation of women. It is what they actually do.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2017 ---
    Ill admit my enthusiasm for equality hasn't come and gone as quickly as the women's march participants have

2. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Is it better to blame Obama on a Tweet, or blame Bush in a news conference?

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Umm Trump is 3 weeks in, by Obama standards he has at least 7 more years to blame Obama.

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I think the biggest problem the world faces with North Korea is that China essentially supports them. I would be completely fine with China handling North Korea and as a reward gaining control of country rather than South Korea. China has been trying to flex its muscles as a world power, let them have North Korea.

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

Oh yeah, I forget, because no-one the the "West" ever talks about Islamic Extremism. :rolleyes:

6. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I understand this, but I think it's crucial to clean up the language a little. There are only a handful of countries that officially carry out "honor killings". There are populations throughout the world that inside a country do the practice, but it is not state sanctioned.

That distinction is important.

7. Galacticos macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

It's not just Islamic extremism it's the extreme nature of Islam

8. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

So, when is Trump going to say something about NK?

So far its "stand with allies"

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

Its no more extreme than the extremities of any other religion.

10. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

China more keeps track of its annoying neighbor, although having provided military aid, food, industrial assistance etc. has long been part of the deal. Lately their exasperation rises though, since a) NK continues to carry on over becoming an unruly part of the nuclear club, and b) NK may have had a hand in assassinations of two relatives of Kim Jong-un who were pro-Beijing, out and about, and presumably part of China's eyes/ears on North Korea.

The most recent death was just announced. Kim Jong-un's estranged brother Kim Jong-nam was killed in an airport in Malaysia, by a woman who applied an apparently poisonous cloth to his face. He was traveling under a passport with a different name at the time.

11. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Exactly, China reluctantly keeps NK viable because the second that regime collapses you're going to have literally millions of people (people who may or may not have a grasp of reality/modern life given generations of direct propaganda campaigns) trying to get across the border into China to survive.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

China has its own set of problems with North Korea.

The most pressing of which is this: They don't want North Korea to totally collapse - economically or politically - because such an event would create a massive humanitarian catastrophe on their southern border. It would be like America having Somalia along the border with Arizona.

They also have to balance the threat of a potential humanitarian disaster with a potential military and political one. Because if North Korea's Government collapsed, the logical outcome would be the reunification of Korea under a Government that is closely allied to the United States. Meaning that China would share a border with a highly advanced military that was allied with the US.

China can't press North Korea too hard. They can't impose absolutely rigid sanctions that would cripple PYonyang - because they don't want to end up with 25 million starving refugees, and they don't want to end up with Korean Air Force F-35s flying from bases just across the Yalu river from them.

13. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

That is not his only thing with a weak ejection force.

14. Bubble99 macrumors 6502