North Korea Nuclear Deal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by renewed, Feb 29, 2012.

1. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Link

Thoughts?

IMO all that will happen is we will aide them with food and supplies, they will wait for us to leave and the military will come in and take it all then after the aid is complete they will start the nuclear testing right back up.

It's a smart way for North Korea to get some much needed supplies.

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    You've every right to be cynical. And if they do as you've said then that will weaken their position in the future.

Either way, I'm happy to see some diplomacy that actually produces a result.

Finger's crossed - Young Il will be much like his father, but if he's just a tad more progressive it will mean better lives for millions of people. Also, he's younger and more impressionable. Over the next decade those cronies he has around him will be dying off too.

That's when I reckon big changes are possible there.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Let some other country give them aid. I'm tired of the US funding other countries while there are problems in the US.

4. eric/ Guest

eric/

Diplomacy with NK is intricately linked with China. China needs to play hardball in order to get them to shape-up. But it's not in Chinese interest, so it won't happen.

5. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

They've backed out before. Sadly the NK people pay the price.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It is a tough call, and either way people will probably be sacrificed.

But I doubt that China will let go of this "useful" client state, and allow the region to remain in flux.

Communist China can always be trusted to stay the course with their game plan, no matter what.

7. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I wonder just how much the NK people actually know about the "outside". I imagine they are probably completely unaware of what the rest of the world is like.

8. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

We've been down this road before, many times in fact.
    I think once again, the west is being duped.

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I'm trying to remember... Who is was that called food, "a beautiful instrument . . . for maneuvering and disciplining the masses". Oh yeah, that's right... it was Hitler and the Nazis.

</end Godwin's law>

10. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

North Korea will not honor their end. When have they EVER held up their end of any past agreements.

Yet America keeps providing them food.... so stupid.

11. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

While I agree, I also don't think there are many other options. It would be folly to believe there is a military solution. Let's see what King Dong Un (or whatever his name is) does.

12. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Just stop feeding them. Let China do it. They want aid from us? They need to dismantle their regime...

13. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

But that isn't part of our demand. We demanded they suspend refinement.

14. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Well I for one welcome this. We all know that they will probably go back on their word, but for now it's better than it was a week ago.:)

Churchill once said 'Jaw Jaw is better than War War'

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

".... so soft". That's how those regimes view it.

But it's what Jesus would do, right?

Any bets all their family stays behind, as hostages. ;)

17. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Saving the rest of the world's asses and helping countries that hate us all while being criticized is just part of our destiny, accept it.

18. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I heard H. Clinton being asked about this, either yesterday or the day before. I am consistently impressed with her performance as Secretary of State. If she's making any missteps, I've missed them.

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

To everyone that says NK always does this, or always does that, let me ask you one question. Has NK done anything with us under the rule of Kim Jong Un? This is his first time reaching out to us, and they were willing to sit down, talk, and even make concessions. Yes, the country under his father has some bad history, but do those of you who say we shouldn't try to establish relations think ignoring this or refusing to help will make our relationship any better or worse?

Even if the chance is small, a chance to reduce the threat NK poses to its neighbors is a huge deal. If it works, and NK decides that the rest of the world isn't its enemy... that would be the THIRD war President Obama would have a role in ending.

20. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The war is Afghanistan is not over, we simply walked away from it. There is a difference...

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think you have your history a little mixed up. It was Bush who walked away from Afghanistan when he started his bull **** war in Iraq.

Obama added 30,000 troops shortly after his election. I'd hardly call that walking away, although I wish we would.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Much less galling than helicopters out of Saigon.

23. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I'm absolutely sure you are right.

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm waiting for the Republican candidates for President to try to take credit... ;)

25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

We need to lower tensions on the Korean peninsula. War is not the answer, as it would result in a nuclear holocaust, and so far isolating them through sanctions and embargoes hasn't worked either. China may be propping the regime up to a great extent, but even the Chinese wish to avoid any open conflict.

So we are left with diplomatic means as the best way forward. In that context, this is a positive, if very modest, development.