North Korea open to denuclearize and not use conventional weapons against SK

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IWantItThatWay, Mar 6, 2018.

1. IWantItThatWay Suspended

(if regime's safety is guaranteed)

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/06/world/asia/north-korea-south-nuclear-weapons.html?

- ISIS already defeated (are they even relevant anymore?)
    - North Korea may denuclearize
    - Could this be the first step to end the Korean War?

Think of it if Hillary would have won. We would have declared nuclear war on Russia, and invaded Syria the same way we invaded Iraq (remember, Clinton said Saddam had WMDs and was willing to use them).

If Trump can control his Tweets, this could be the start of the biggest win since the end of the Cold War.

Let's hope a feud with Alec Baldwin doesn't take center stage.

2. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

This is similar to the drunk boyfriend/husband/girlfriend/wife that keeps coming back. Telling you each time that they'll go to counseling, resulting in the same outcome in the end. I'm hopeful I'm wrong here but I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket here.

3. IWantItThatWay thread starter Suspended

Trump is not so nice to North Korea. Remember, the Deep State hates Trump for a reason.

The previous boyfriends were the type of guys who are weak. Now North Korea's new boyfriend is an alpha type who doesn't take nonsense. It makes a world of difference.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

You misread his post completely.

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The only thing anyone in the USG needs to do is publicly back the South Koreans hopefully they can pull off the hat trick

6. IWantItThatWay thread starter Suspended

No I didn't. He's saying North Korea is the girlfriend (or boyfriend) who promises she can 'change.'

I am pointing out that the situation is different now and his point doesn't apply

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

ISIS was already on decline when Trump took office.

But IF N.Korea actually does ditch all of its nuclear weapons, it would be Trump's biggest accomplishment as President so far. It's been stated so many times N.Korea was only interested in regime preservation and having nukes is proven to prevent a regime change done via the US's influences/military action.

I am with haxrnick though in thinking this is the usual N.Korea rhetoric of where they will give up nukes in exchange for XYZ( regime preservation, food, humanitarian aid, etc), but go back on the deal where the cycle repeats itself.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

If NK decides on policies that increase stability that would be great, and I hope the US would reciprocate. However, recently NK has done nothing but destabilise its corner of Asia, and dictators in the past have tried to lull democracies into complacency while they prepared for war.

Trumps now owns the NK situation, so if he was successful in getting NK on a more peaceful path, I think that would be a genuine accomplishment for his administration. If not, then I shudder to think what he's planning.

9. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

10. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Diet coke in a wine glass? lol
    --- Post Merged, Mar 6, 2018 ---

The North Koreans want assurances US won't invade. Remember what happened to Gaddafi.

11. SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

This will turn out to be the same thing they pulled off in the past to buy more time to achieve whatever it is they want this time.

Remember, his father said they would never give up nuclear weapons because they saw what happened to Saddam Hussein (who obviously turned out to not have nukes) and he vowed to never let his nation fall to anyone. So nukes to them if Kim Jong Un's way of almost guaranteed survival. He will never give them up, and we will probably never go to war on the Korean peninsula again because if we do it will be a bloodbath in the first few minutes.

I really wish this was true, but I am very skeptical on this one.

:apple:

12. IWantItThatWay thread starter Suspended

Trump isn't like past Presidents.

He's not part of the Deep State.

13. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I think you forgot that NK has reneged on more promises than Trump has reneged marriages. I hope the entire peninsula can be denuclearized, but I won’t be surprised when LiL Kim acts up again and walks away from talks.

14. SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

I am a Republican, however, I just do not see this working out like they say....even with Trumps way tougher stance on North Korea. Kim Jong Un wants to keep power, plain and simple. I like your optimism, however, I just cannot get behind this one.

Like I said, I really hope it will happen but not optimistic.

:apple:

15. 0007776 Suspended

You need to lay off whatever it is you are taking.

Trump dropping the US out of a world leadership position may have opened more room for both Koreas to work things out on their own, but this will either lead nowhere or to a deal that is not favorable to the US.

16. juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

Please define Deep State, and say how a reality tv star might be better at dealing with international conflicts than seasoned diplomats with 30 years of experience and intimate knowledge of the situation? So far he's called KJU "fat rocket man" or something like that.

17. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

And then Hillary would have mandated sex reassignment surgery to all white land-owning American males. And then she would have forced all gun owners to brand their foreheads with a crimson cross and sickle. And then she would have renamed Arkansas to Clintonia. And then she would have forced all conservatives to take ballet lessons.

18. IWantItThatWay thread starter Suspended

Deep State = anti-Russia and pro-Iraq War for example.

Clinton said Saddam had WMDs and was willing to use/sell them.

19. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

It was the administration of George W. Bush that claimed that Saddam Hussein possessed WMDs. George W. Bush then ordered the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Bill Clinton gave a speech in 2002, the year before the war, urging the government NOT to invade Iraq.

I'm not sure if you're deliberately lying.

20. juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

Ok, so basically, all black or white. Sure, take example in the authoritarian "president" who is about to extend his reign to 25 f****** YEARS. It says a lot about your mindset. You probably think that Russia Today and Infowars are great sources of information.

Don't forget to take a big spoonful of BRAIN FORCE PLUS before bed.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 6, 2018 ---
    Of course he's deliberately lying. Deep down he knows he's been fooled, but it's easier to try to convince others, than to admit it.

21. sim667 macrumors 65816

What Kim Il-Jong does and says are two very different things.

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The South Korean Prez is brand new maybe he hypnotized him :D

Regardless The S. Koreans got in the door lets all have their backs and not do anything stupid

23. jerwin macrumors 68020

our genius at work http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/03/trump-confuses-north-and-south-korea.html

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

NK open to denuclearization now, the left must be tired of winning already.