North Korea prepares for ICBM launch.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jbarley, Jul 19, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so you will be happy when trump gets us in some kind of military action with them?

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I can't even blame Obama for this one as the war with NK has never "officially" ended :( I don't care if NK has nukes at all.

4. darksithpro macrumors regular

5. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Agree. What NK does is its business and not of concern to the USA. There are plenty of loopy countries with their hands on nuclear weapons with crazy leaders. Heck, I live in one.

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well man that must have hurt. it is a first I bet too. of course you don't care if they have nukes all is cool with nukes.

7. darksithpro macrumors regular

I'm betting on the hopes that little Kim is so set in his luxurious lifestyle that he wouldn't be so foolish, as to actually make good on any of his threats, because if he did, his lavish lifestyle would end very quickly. I think he's bluffing.

8. Zenithal Suspended

I'd be curious about his state of mental health.

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

he may be afraid he would nuke his own country with their record of good launches.

10. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Robber robs a bank. Bank's fault for having money.

Drunk driver runs a red light hits another car. Other driver's fault for being on the road.

Man sexually assaults woman. Woman's fault for wearing a dress.

North Korea continues their ICBM development. Trumps fault.

Pattern noted.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so if trump does something it is not his fault for doing it? someone else is pulling his strings? god damn Putin again.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think his lackeys tell him they are all huge successful launches.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

On this we disagree. NK must be stopped.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Imagine if Un had twitter.

15. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

To be fair, jkcerda is always commenting on how the US should stay out of military conflicts, so when he makes comments like he did above, it seems a bit conflicted to his normal rhetoric, knowing full well that if NK did escalate it more, the chances of a military conflict grows. Which again, goes against jkcerda's normal anti-conflict rhetoric.

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Title of this thread is misleading unless the author knows more than anyone else. A "nuclear launch" is a much different thing than an icbm test.

17. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I suspect that Kim's luxurious lifestyle will end the moment that the "emergency" ends in NK. The people only support this particular brutal authoritarian dictatorship because "the US is poised to strike at any moment", or so they are told. They live their lives in perpetual fear of the impending US attack. And so, Kim continually pushes forward threats, to show that he and he alone keeps the American wolves at bay.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Still love youn

19. jbarley, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017

jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

Guilty...
    Title edited to reflect this.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Apparently the trickiest part of delivering a nuclear weapon via an ICBM is the marrying of the weapon and the missile. Very difficult, extremely tiny tolerances of materials and fittings, package must tolerate the shocks of launch and flight, etc. etc., many many things can go wrong, nothing can go wrong for it to succeed.

NK is just now getting around to having any of its ICBM tests make the grade as far as launch and trajectory are concerned. So it would appear there is some time yet for an intervention. I sincerely hope China makes that intervention in their own assessment of when and how, not us giving it a shot at the merry whim of this President. It's not like anyone sane is eager for NK to have deliverable nuclear weapons. Even the newer members of this dreadful club, say, Pakistan, cannot be happy to think of NK's leader having that power. They and India regard it as deterrent. NK, who the heck knows. One hopes the guy is that sane.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Same here, Let's get a room ! :eek:
    --- Post Merged, Jul 19, 2017 ---
    Epic twitter battle.

22. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Yeah, this is the thing. There is always going to be some time yet for an intervention. I don't myself particularly understand why everyone is so worried that NK is getting close to a "first strike" capability; you don't need a missile in order to perform a nuclear first strike. Indeed, that would be the last option I would choose. NK has had a fine selection of nuclear bombs for years now, and has its own submarines, ships, aircraft, spies... Put one of those bombs on a sub, sneak it over to an American harbor, and boom! You've got a first strike more precise than anything any of their missiles could achieve, even if it had the power to lift one of their bombs.

NK doesn't want a first strike. NK could have done a one-off first strike years ago. But once war starts, the gravy train that NK's current government enjoys will end, no matter the result...

23. darksithpro macrumors regular

Agreed, but that's just a stop-gap reason to hold off doing something. Eventually something has to be done.

24. LizKat, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017

LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

China is a trading partner and neighbor so is at once a provider of sustenance and in a vulnerable position if NK feels so threatened it just lashes out. NK's conventional weaponry extends to the margins of what we'd consider "conventional" as we know from the assassination of Kim Jong Un's brother; apparently it was VX in binary form to enable safe application.

It's horrendous to think NK could have provoked a war by using that stuff as they did if something had gone wrong past the wrong that was intended. It sort of reminds one of the potential for inadvertent fatal spinoff from the polonium poisoning of Litvinenko in London. On that one it seemed a miracle no one else expired, since two prior attempts were abandoned somewhat clumsily with identifiable radioactive trails left, and in one of them a cup of tea was actually poisoned, so the polonium-210 was out and about on that occasion. Anyway along those lines you sort of feel like maybe an intervention in NK should not only come sooner than later but also include some suggestions and incentives to give up chemical weapons.

One would hope that gradually NK's economic status improves through trade and lessening of sanctions if it will just set aside its overkill capabilities. My god, a little country that could be growing rice and turning out cellphones or whatever.. turning into a monster with nukes. Sure it's an achievement but it's such a burden too. Clearly they feel threatened, and yet they are the threat, by virtue of having built up such a huge army and all that weaponry never mind the nukes.

It's hard to know what to do. How do you infiltrate a dynasty where the ruler has killed off all the grown kin he doesn't trust and the rest of them are children. All you could do would be to try to turn his military advisors. The examples he's made of those he has dispatched to the hereafter in gruesome ways are probably enough to make anyone else wary of even speaking to anyone outside their own family and the circle they're in around Jong Un anyway.

It seems the only option is try to put carrots in front of the guy and make him want those enough to trade his nukes freely for them. Food, crops assistance, jobs, whatever. I don't think we are the party to do that, far from it, maybe the last party on earth any more. I think it has to be China.

I'm happy Trump chose Jon Huntsman as ambassador there, maybe he and his counterparts can figure out a path foward on NK and we can step back. EDIT: uh, close, no cigar. See below.

Notes on my EDIT = major brain blip there in my original post. :oops: Apparently I cannot listen to reggae (or, whatever) and post on politics at the same time.... Trump nominated Huntsman to serve as his ambassador to Russia, not a return gig to China where he served for Obama. Still a good choice but in a way I am surprised Huntsman ditches a Senate run possibility for this posting under this prez.