North Korea Says It Won Major Concessions From Trump in Singapore

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zenithal, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Zenithal macrumors 603

2. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

To add another link...
    http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/editorials/article213069769.html

3. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

And Trump spun the results in his favor by declaring N. Korea is no longer a nuclear threat.

4. T'hain Esh Kelch, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Now Trump has to give in on their demands, otherwise NK will just say that he lied and we're back to where we were, but the NK government can tell their people that they tried, and that the evil US lied again.

Trump really only has things to loose here, unless of course he is playing the NK/China/Russia side as usual.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Time will tell, over time we found out Obama lied about the Iran deal.

6. Zenithal thread starter macrumors 603

All politicians lie, but Trump is something else. He did say he'll admit he was wrong if things don't work out. For his stupidity, the man does have some moments of clarity where he's frank.

7. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Am I honestly supposed to give two ***** about what the country says when there is a glimmer of a chance of getting troops out of the peninsula? Before the neocon wrecking crew in the administration blow this up of course.

If we actually cared about humanity rather than team sport mentality we’d be demanding that we take this opportunity to dismantle a portion of the war machine. Instead we get push back from all the establishment players in both parties and the media with rhetoric and demands that just continue the same slow military creep as America demands to be anywhere in the world it damn well pleases.

I see no harm in ratcheting down troop numbers tied to a good faith effort from both SK and NK in cleaning up the land mines in the region. But the only options in the imaginations of either war party in the USA are ones that drive the tensions up for a war that will kill millions.

Trump is clearly an idiot, but if he stumbles his way into a situation that could possibly lower the human suffering on the planet we should dive headfirst into demanding it of him before the Bolton’s of the administration destroy it (as they will shortly).

Honest to god I don’t know wtf has happened to this country, where the “good guys” we are supposed to root for only push towards the goal of further military disaster.

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

11. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

To who exactly?

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Prepare for a monumentally underwhelming technicality about a one time conversation of currency :rolleyes:

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We just finished major military exercises in the area, if Kim goes back on his word the next time it won't be a drill.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So Peace through Tyranny. Congratulations for portraying the same mentality as Megatron. Warmongering, indeed.

As @NT1440 stated, that is a monstrous, dehumanizing mentality to hold.

BL.

15. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

It won’t be?

16. 0007776, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

0007776 Suspended

Bolton is in there so there probably will be a war. North Korea is in a pretty good place now because they might get a deal that is favorable to them, but if it doesn't work out in their favor they can show China that they tried the diplomatic route and it failed because of the US. So that way they get to maintain Chinese support if there is a war while they risked losing it earlier this year if they started something.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I understand the need to address the geopolitical chessboard...but are we really going to look at a war that will literally result in the death of millions as a win? Or even more basic...what kind of morality allows for being ok with such a thing to be used as a tool?

Would I be wrong in describing such a worldview as imperialist?

18. darksithpro macrumors 6502

For anyone interested. Here's a website that closely monitors NK state run media, they even translate it verbatim to English: https://kcnawatch.co/ It's good to read, in case the MSM tries to spin what the North Koreans actually said.

19. Zenithal thread starter macrumors 603

Trump is a self-determined isolationist. Going to war defeats most of his "America only" rhetoric. Going to war with North Korea may be easy from the sky, but it won't be easy on foot. Iraq in itself was a cakewalk because the troops working for Saddam didn't want to fight. We've been fighting insurgency for 17+ years in Afghanistan. It's been a constant back and forth campaign. The mere idea of going to war with North Korea, regardless of how old their equipment is or how poorly trained their soldiers are, would result in a blood bath for both sides and send us into further debt. Even Bolton is internally aware that's a stupid idea, and Iran's an even worse idea.

But if people want a war, so be it. I'll do my part by sending over snacks and civvy MREs since they outclass government rations by a mile.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

So, you think that Trump isn't cowing about the major concessions he got, or that the North Koreans are lying?

I suspect that the former is nearly impossible, but the latter, sure. But, wasn't that the point? The North Koreans always wanted a diplomatic coup to take home, and Trump gave it to them. Meanwhile, they get to show China that they're behaving, thereby relieving some pressure from Beijing.

I'm not in the least surprised that the North Koreans are lying their collective assess off, but I do not believe that Trump garnered anything from this "summit" beside a handshake that can be replayed again and again on Fox News as the network's various apparatchiks talk about what a brilliant man he is.

In many ways, the United States and North Korea are led by congenital schmucks savvy enough to build cults-of-personality and wield them in their fat little hands.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2018 ---
    I keep hoping, despite experience that Bolton is not as dumb as he appears.

21. old mac Suspended

old mac

You put this very poorly, but I agree with you. It is disgusting that some people hate Trump so much, they would rather have war, than to see Trump succeed.

22. Zenithal thread starter macrumors 603

Yawn. We've been fooled more than a dozen times before by the North. Forgive me if I don't believe that fat terrorist, sub-human piece of **** mongrel.

Going to Afghanistan was reactionary for 9/11. Going to Iraq was the biggest ******** of a lie sold to the American people and bulk of American politicians. Who here can remember the ******** that was the Nayirah testimony back in 1990?

No one is going to war with North Korea. It puts American interests at risk. It places thousands of troops at risk of death. It'll be costly. The moment Trump goes to war is the moment he'll lose reelection if he doesn't resign beforehand. How can you claim to be an isolation, want America to be number one, focus on America being great again, yada yada while doing exactly what the sycophant (HRC) you were up against would have done?

23. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Kinda like when the MSM hammered home the lie that Trump called all Mexicans rapists and murderers... to this day, many folks actually believe that lie.

24. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Name just one.

You confuse non-confidence in Trump with Trump minion manufactured accusation of blind hate that would prefer a war than see him do something right. That’s just part of the hyperbolic support-Trump narrative.

It’s also interesting how you can lament about Trump not being supported as President, yet when the shoe was on the other foot, rip Obama, a much more competant leader every day for 8 years. No worries there, I understand completely how that works, :oops:

25. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

That's a bit one sided the North Korean guy is pretty unpleasant as well.