north korea shells south korea

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chris200x9, Nov 23, 2010.

1. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/24/w...=mv&adxnnlx=1290528013-4InGro36BfgOq2GM6Lkozw

thoughts?

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

NK is obviously angling for more aid. I feel for all the N Koreans who are starving and who have been brain washed.

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

How does this get them more aid? Plus, this is not the actions of the poor starving masses, this is a coordinated military campaign.

I'm asking because I really don't understand. If you can explain it, I would appreciate it.

5. chris200x9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It makes me wonder how loyal their army would be. If when I got out I saw everything ever told to me about the outside was a lie and everything out here is much better than in my country, as a soldier I'd be like **** it.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Because the next time they sit down at the negotiating table, they'll promise to be good boys and girls if only the west will give them more aid. That's their modus operandi.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is sad and scary. I guess it could be one good way to end the Afghanistan thing though.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

[​IMG]

I hear those guys are really good at dropping off aid.

its about time we send north korea back to the stone age.

9. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

How is that?

10. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

It will be interesting to see how much our indebtedness to China plays a role in shaping what the response from the U.S. will be. It could be the proverbial handcuffs that prevent us from assisting the South Koreans... not that I'm personally an advocate for such action or for the policy which keeps 30,000 U.S. troops stationed there permanently. :mad:

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, if this escalates, we will most likely be asked for help by SK. We can't keep things up in Afghanistan and go to Korea as well- we don't have the manpower or the money.

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

We already have like 28,000 troops in S. Korea right now. I guess it'd depend on what was needed.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

They're already there.

One potential difference that I see between this and Afghanistan and Iraq is I think it will be an easier war. I don't think it'll take much to topple Kim Jong Il and I can't imagine there being the kind of insurgency that we see in the Middle East. Could be wrong, and I'm no expert, but I think it would go as smoothly as the Bush administration told is Iraq would.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

A hell of a lot more than that.

15. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Most likely unfortunately. If this were to go to war I fear it will be devastating.

16. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

You couldn't be more wrong.

17. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

"Look starving citizens, ignore the grumbling of your stomachs and look on with awe as we flex our military might."

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

This is what North Korea has done for a long time now. Every time they need food or money for its citizens, it does something to raise a stink globally, then the US rushes forward to give it money and it settles down for a while.

19. takao macrumors 68040

takao

south korea has quite a numerical disadvantage but a clear technological lead in airforce, armored fighting vehicles and naval units

on the other side even with US support the terrain is far far more different than conflicts in desert terrain where heavy tanks and airforce reigns supreme.. also compared to iraq it's not an enemy who has just being bombed recently .. they would have had plenty of preperation

on the other side i question the sanity of the SK commandor who greenlit a navy exercise (with live fire) in close proximity to an island with a desputed claim.. which IMHO is a south korean provokation

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think those live-fire exercises are a pretty regular occurrence.

Should this be merged with the NK v SK thread?

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd love to see China intervene in Mexico, just to hear the screams of indignation from those wondering how they could possibly have the gall to travel half-way around the world to interfere in our neighbors affairs.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm so disheartened to see how many here immediately jump to bang the drums of war.

We really are a completely indoctrinated society :(

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

People here seem to suffer from premature wargasm.

24. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

I don't agree. If North Korea attacked on US soil, it wouldn't take 2 seconds for every citizen to want to attack back. This is an act of war. You can't just let this go and pretend like it never happened. South Korea didn't start it but it's on.
    Now I know the war in afghanistan didn't turn out the way we wanted but we weren't just going to sit around and say oh well after 9/11

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's not "on". It's a little local difficulty in a long-standing conflict which was never resolved because the US/UN were fought to a standstill fifty-seven years ago. South and North Korea have technically been at war ever since. Jumping in all of a sudden because two people were killed makes no sense at all.