North Korea : State Of War Exists

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Peace, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The North Korean government declared the armistice invalid on March 11, 10 days after Foal Eagle began. It is something Pyongyang has done before during heightened tensions.
    In an added slap, North Korea has declared that it had entered a "state of war" with neighboring South Korea, according to a report Saturday from the state-run Korean Central News Agency.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/30/world/asia/north-korea-us-threats/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

---------

I think most of us believe this to be rhetoric but one never knows with the new leader.

Thoughts ?

Discuss.

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Hopefully, the new guy is just trying to be his own man and show that he is a tough guy. I'm sure a lot of people who take over the family business immediately fire some people and act all tough to prove to everybody that they are in charge now.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

IMO, the United States should offer an opportunity to meet the North Korean leaders and discuss the possibility of de-escalation and peace.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ya and I am sure that North Korea state media will show the proceedings. They don't have any intentions of peaceful negations, They just want a bargaining chip.

We don't know if Jr is just throwing empty threats or if they are really intending to start a war. All we know is they want attention.

5. redshift1 macrumors regular

Looks like he more or less fell into the leadership role which always raises questions about maturity, ability and common sense.

My wild guess is he likely makes few decisions on his own. Whoever is controlling NK it's probably not him which is probably a good thing.

Even the most unpredictable foreign regimes can recognize the realities of warfare against a vastly superior military force and are unlikely to risk their own necks.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Besides the propaganda media of theirs, do we have any solid intelligence about their government. And how isolated is the government itself from the outside world.

7. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

I don't think he would try to toss any nukes anywhere. Based on my assumption that he has some common sense. But he could be getting ready to continue the war with S. Korea in a conventional manner.

I don't think anybody really knows.

In my mind the guy is scary only because he seems so immature.

8. eric/ Guest

eric/

If he studied abroad he has to know the difference between NK and the rest of the world. I think it's a matter of him trying to establish power, or control it because he's losing his grip.

Both are bad. This is a no-win situation.

9. redshift1 macrumors regular

U.S Media coverage on NK seems very basic and heavily biased in portraying NK in a negative light as is any foreign government that challenges the U.S.
    hegemony.

That said one has to assume there are foreign study groups within the government that do nothing but serious assessment of NK. Based on satellite surveillance, electronic eve-dropping, double agents, mining internal dissident groups and behavioral psychologists conversant in NK culture. Of course that level of information is highly classified. What news hit's the american media is little more than U.S. propaganda.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If they don't have peaceful intentions then what would they be bargaining for?

I'd talk to them and try to find that out.

11. bobenhaus macrumors 6502a

Nothing will happen at all. Everyone can just go on with their lives instead of wasting time on this non existing political nonsense. Nuff said . :)

12. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

I'm not trying to be a warmonger even though it looks that way but I was born at the end of the Korea conflict. This could continue after a 60 year lull.

http://news.yahoo.com/nkorea-says-state-war-skorea-014344604.html

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The Pentagon seems to be undecided whether he's really crazy enough to start something or just putting on a big show to impress his own military. Our people just don't have enough intel to know for sure.

And that's what makes this so scary. We've no idea just how far he's willing to take this.

14. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Why is Dennis Rodman not a Peace ambassador for the US? He seems to be the only one who can get close to Kim Jun-unhappy:rolleyes:

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Maybe we could talk to him to find out.

Talk.

What a chicken thing to do.

:rolleyes:

16. Macky-Mac, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013

Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

why do you think he's interested in talking?

Or that this even has anything to do with "us" for that matter.

is there anything to indicate this is really any different than any of the similar previous episodes?

17. TSE macrumors 68030

empty threats to get bargaining chips.

best way to end his **** is to tell them enough is enough, if they throw one more weapon their government is done, try to open up trade and try to unite koreas peacefully. once the north koreans see their life improve they will forget all about their god... might take a generation.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Has anybody asked?

I think Obama should come out on national TV and appeal to the North Koreans to sit down to a series of talks.

If not Obama, then the U.N.

But I know ... I know ... that's being a french, surrender monkey.

:rolleyes:

19. Macky-Mac, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013

Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

how do you know they haven't?

It seems like you're looking for a grand show to reward all the posturing? is that really appropriate in this case?

Perhaps the South Korean approach in downplaying the periodic temper tantrum is a much more informed and rational approach.

I'll meet your :rolleyes: and raise you :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Because I haven't seen Obama come on the TV and say "We need to talk."

I believe that peace is appropriate in this case.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Why would Obama go through television? as opposed to say diplomatic channels that are substantially more effective and not speaking via proxy

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Public pressure, maybe? I dunno.

23. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

so if it isn't on tv for your viewing pleasure, it isn't happening? :rolleyes:

24. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Korean Central News Agency's take

This is what KNCA has to say:

March 29. 2013 Juch 102

Nuclear War to Be Conducted on Korean Peninsula

Pyongyang, March 29 (KCNA) --

A nuclear war has turned out to be an established one on the Korean Peninsula.

Despite the repeated warnings of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, the United States, for the first time, made B-2A fly from Whiteman air force base in Missouri State over south Korea on March 28 to launch an exercise of striking ground targets aimed at the DPRK.

Earlier, a formation of U.S. B-52 based in Anderson air-force base on Guam flew to the sky above south Korea and staged nuclear war exercises striking simulated in-depth targets of the DPRK.

Meanwhile, the U.S. deputy secretary of Defense flew to south Korea to finally examine the preparations for a nuclear war against the DPRK and openly said that the U.S. military attaches top priority to the second Korean war, giving green light to a nuclear war.

Accordingly, the commander of the U.S. forces in south Korea and the south Korean military chief drafted a "plan to jointly cope with local provocation". The main point of it is to start a total nuclear war involving the U.S. forces in the U.S. mainland and the Pacific region after the south Korean forces touch off a conflict.

The south Korean warmongers, elated with the backing of the U.S. master, are threatening punishment to "provocation" of the DPRK and even seeking to mount precision missile strikes on the statues of the great Generalissimos Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il, symbol of the DPRK's dignity.

For your edutainment needs, look here: http://www.kcna.co.jp/index-e.htm

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Please.

I never said it wasn't happening.

I said I would prefer it to happen openly to the world.

I urge Kim Jong-un to sit down with me [Obama] to work toward a peaceful resolution ...