North Korea tests another rocket again

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thomahawk, May 25, 2009.

1. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8067368.stm

I must say.. what is going on N.Korea? This isn't right and i think it's time for the UN and other countrys to take action now.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

3. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

My opinion, and this is just my opinion. He needs money. Scare everyone so they will pay him off to stop his program.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

More brinksmanship from the North Koreans. They're trying to extract concessions, likely in the form of monetary and food aid, in exchange for putting their nuclear program on ice again.

Not sure what anyone can do, US, UN, etc. The North Korean leadership has shown a willingness to allow their own people to die of starvation in massive numbers rather than allow anyone in to help them. Containment is probably the best we can do with a state like this. Bribery to get them to halt development of their plutonium bomb development is probably a good idea too.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I really think Kim Jong Il and Mahmoud Amnajinedwahtever are just in a contest with each other to see who has the biggest nuclear penis. I think both of them know that if they so much as lunch a bottle rocket in our general direction, or an ally's general direction, we'll obliterate them. They're flexing their muscles, but neither of them are stupid enough to actually try anything.

6. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

What are you talking about, NK has actually tested a weapon, Iran is still some ways off from getting one. In addition the two countries are as different as can be. This is what Ahmadenejad had to say in response to this latest test:
    Reuters

I think NK's motivation to obtain money in exchange for halting its program has weight. Otherwise there really is no point in investing so heavily in these programs.

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

a little bully shaking his fist at the world with little regard to his family. only he does not see he is a fool.

8. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

Do you really think Kim Jong-il cares about that?

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Concessions, and perhaps the publicity for internal propeganda purposes, would make the most sense.

10. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

What's the UN going to do anyway? Pass another resolution?

I don't think concessions will work. Even if we give NK more food and aid they take the money and do what they want.

A united world front might work but I'm afraid the Chinese, Russians, etc. will object that the measures are "too harsh" and will argue that more sanctions might provoke them to war.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Let them eat their weapons. If that doesnt work let China and Russia feed them.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We are in China's pocket, nothing too harsh is going to be brought down on NK without them giving the go ahead.

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The thing is, as concerning as it is for the rest of the world, it's an intelligent move on their part. We're not about to do anything rash as long as they have nukes and continue to flex their muscles about them.

North Korea wants the rest of the world to f*** off...and testing nuclear weapons is a pretty effective way of getting their way. All anyone can really do to them now is shake their fingers and glare at them disapprovingly, as nobody wants a nuclear war.

It's not like the rest of the world really has much motivation or leadership to disarm, anyway, what with the US having such an enormous nuclear stockpile and dreams of developing new technologies to go along with it.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Kinda puts into perspective why Iran wants a nuke so bad. North Korea threatens war, enriches nuclear fuel, and launches missiles -- and the world says "well, there's nothing we can do -- they have nukes".

Iran does those things and Israel threatens to bomb them into oblivion.

You tell me why someone in an Iranian pair of shoes wouldn't want a nuke...

15. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

... and we invaded Iraq and threaten Iran.

doesn't make any sense at all. :rolleyes:

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

NK doesn't have oil.

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

We haven't done much more than shake our fist at Iran and Iraq never made it past asking Santa for nuclear weapons.