North Korea tests the limits by firing new missile tests

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.cnn...tics/white-house-north-korea-china/index.html

Trump has basically told China to get on board or the US was going to handle the situation with other means. Part of me would like to see this dictator get a nuke up his ass, but the collateral damage would be extremely high. If they can reach US shores with a nuke they may not have a choice at some point, so China better get their **** together unless they want the US in their back yard.

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Don't we have enough non-nuclear ordinance to obliterate all of North Korea without the nuclear aftermath?

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

December 6th, 2016 - Senate Armed Services Commitee

Generals testified to the fact that North Korea's nuclear program is entirely a defensive posture, not to be used as a first strike. Then Lindsay Graham basically tells everyone he's pushing for war by pushing an authorization for military force against North Korea.

Since then, nothing but media stories about the horrors of North Korea...almost as if the media companies funded by defense contractors are trying to stoke up the population's consent for war....

Makes you think :rolleyes:

4. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, we did do that whole "Korean War" thing back in the 1950's, if you recall. We had plenty of non-nuclear ordinance back then, too. Funny thing, though -- our military adventure in Korea attracted the attentions of various other entities in the region. Entities with their own massive stockpiles of non-nuclear ordinance. Plenty of men in their armed forces, too. And they were much, much closer to the battlefront than we were, giving them an additional massive advantage in logistics.

Things didn't quite work out the way we intended back then. Heck, the war hadn't even been a year old before MacArthur started arguing for an invasion of China, and even for the tactical use of our nukes.

North Korea is, indeed, a problem. But better to continue the existing stalemate, I think, than to try and force a military solution. The insane little country has been kept inside its borders for nearly 70 years now; sure, the missiles are threatening, but I would expect China to start cracking down on it if it starts really getting out of hand. China is itself making huge strides forward in the region, with their expansion into the SCS and with Trump scrapping the China-threatening TPP. Right now, I think North Korea is the biggest threat to a new decade of Chinese dominance; I doubt they'll let the crazies in North Korea go too much further forward (especially with the nutjob currently in Washington now making all kinds of crazy threats of his own).

5. steve knight, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017

steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Nk reminds me of a tee shirt I had as a kid a mouse giving a diving eagle the finger and it said the last great act of defiance.
    last_great_act_of_defiance_womens_plus_size_vnec.jpg

6. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I don't want boots on the ground. I don't want war at all. But if we think we will be bombe I want to destroy anything that looks like a launch pad over there before we lose the west coast.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It doesn't work that way, if you want to take out the regime and their ability to launch weapons you need boots on the ground. You can't win a war from the air.

8. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Cool! So, we establish the precedent that if anybody has a launch pad with a potential nuclear-tipped warhead on it, we can bomb the heck out of it. Right?

Being as I live in a country riddled with launch pads containing nuclear-tipped warheads pointing at all sorts of other countries, I'm not terribly happy about this particular precedent...

9. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Why not?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 4, 2017 ---
    Um, no. Just the ones who say they want to use it in us AND are taking practice shots in our direction.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

North Korea is not suicidal, and our military leadership disagrees with your assessment that they will ever launch a first strike. The intent is that deterrent, period.

Not to mention the fact that every other test results in their missiles just blowing the **** up.

11. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Ah, so, when China and Russia and who-knows-who-else start furiously bombing all the missiles we currently have aimed right at them, we can say that they were technically in error in using this particular justification. Whew, a load off my mind then.

12. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Sigh. Why does everyone need to play devils advocate all the time? Whatever. Let's just start a pool. Which west coast city will get obliterated before we do something? Seattle? San Francisco? Maybe they will just settle for Juno or Port Angeles.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

First I agreed with citizenzen and now you? All in the same day ? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

14. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Wow man. You're on a role. soon you'll be ready for this...

IMG_0015.JPG

15. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I'll go you one better: let's create the "pre-emptive strikes against nuclear missiles pointed at you are allowed" precedent by taking out North Korea's launch pads. Now, which American cities get destroyed first by Chinese or Russian attacks? We can open it up to the entire country as a whole. Because our missiles are certainly more reliable, our nuclear warheads better-tested, and we are explicitly targeting Russian and Chinese cities this very minute. And now we even have a President who has stated that nuclear weapons are on the table!

I find it very, very unlikely that North Korea can, even with all they've shown today, successfully launch an attack on our shores. However, it is very very likely that the US can launch attacks into China, and our President is making every effort to show himself at least as nutty as Kim Jong-un. If bombing NK is defensible given their current level of threat, bombing the USA must be even more defensible...

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

That's a low blow :p

17. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Do we have to play "dueling hypotheticals"? I hate that song. I hear it all day.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 4, 2017 ---
    You're the one seeing the liberal sides of things.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

*cough*

19. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Oh, I'm fairly certain that I'm using the exact same hypothetical you are. I'm just adding the "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" clause to my argument.

I don't see why people should treat the USA and North Korea with different standards, is all.

20. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

We don't need to change the regime. We can just reduce it to ash like Pompeii.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So you didn't actually mean this ...
    To tell you the truth ... I didn't think you did.

It's not like you.

22. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Do unto others works great when we all play by the same rules. These despotic dictators play by their own rules.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Like Assad?

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Assad is a unique animal. He is a bad hombre but half of his population is worse. ISIS lives in his backyard.

25. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Okay... Let's see. The despotic dictators play by their rules. And you play by this rule:

Hmm. I'm starting to get the feeling that living under a despotic dictator might be better for my future than living under your rule would be... ;)