North Korea Threatens U.S. Over Joint Military Drill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by waloshin, Feb 24, 2013.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Source

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sounds like North Korea needs more Western food aid.

4. eric/ Guest

eric/

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think it would be more news worthy if North Korea was not threatening somebody.

Why is this even news.:p

6. eric/ Guest

eric/

This is a good chance for the us military to scale back. Start pulling troops and navel forces from Korea. That way we can reduce spending, and let South Korea take care of itself.

7. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Why havent we wiped the North Koreans of the map yet:rolleyes:

They are more of a threat than Iraq was:rolleyes:

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Because it would be a much tougher war than Iraq was, plus we don't want a war with China, and South Korea doesn't want Seoul to be wiped off the map in the first 5 min of the war which is what would happen.

9. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

I highly doubt that!

China is not that stupid to go to war with us.. let alone the fact they would lose!

China needs to set in the little corner it has always been in and quit pretending to be a big shot

10. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Because it would be a much tougher war than Iraq was, plus we don't want a war with China, and South Korea doesn't want Seoul to be wiped off the map in the first 5 min of the war which is what would happen.

I for one would love this to happen but only if you Muscle Master were in the front lines.:mad:

I mean it's very easy to send someone else off to die.:(

11. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Army reserves... If I have to, I will

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Even if we did roll over them quickly, and they don't use their nukes, which I doubt would happen, pretty much all of the population there actually likes their government so you'd be dealing with a much worse insurgency during the occupation, and if we didn't occupy it then the current regime would just come back once we left.

China went to war with us in the last Korean war, and if we were to invade their ally North Korea again without their permission they would go to war with us again, and we might be able to take on their navy, but once we got into the land ware would get bogged dow until we completely ran out of money and fell apart, or left defeated. China would be in bad shape at the end, but they wouldn't loose. Also if they switched all their manufacturing capability to producing military equipment like the US did during WWII then think their capabilities would be much closer to the US than you'd like to think.

13. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think that's funny, I mean you can't even win the war in Afganistan, I give it 30 minutes after you pull out, and the Taliban wil be back in power. All those Americans will have died for nothing since 2001.
    And yet you want to start another war.

14. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

And if North Korea attacks us.. or South Korea? what then.. what will China have to say then.. I highly doubt China has any control over the North

And now they are swinging their Nuclear dicks at us cause they are still sour cause we won't let them have the south.. its High school bs

----------

I won't say too much on the subject.. but I hardly call sniffing out insurgents and walking the streets of the Stan without getting hit by a IED a war

I agree.. we need to just be done with the middle east

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

North Korea probably won't do anything more than threaten unless they have China's support. If they attack South Korea or the US troops stationed there then Seoul is flattened in the first 5 minutes, then Nato comes in and probably occupies North Korea. Then as long as China still isn't involved it becomes a war of attrition with the insurgency that would inevitably develop and we see if Nato and South Korea is willing to fight an insurgency there for a couple generations until the North Korean mindset is changed through connection with the rest of the world.

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

But this is the face of war today, gone are the clear victories of WWII.:(

Whether the Middle East is done with you is still up for debate, just look at your airports the fact that you have the TSA. 19 people with box cutters on a clear Tuesday morning, ring a bell. I don't think you are finished middle east, and I certainly don't think that the middle east is finished with you.:(

But hey you want to start a totally new war.

17. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

For the record.. never said such a thing, though 10 or 15 years ago i think America would have done something about this to shut them up.. The North isn't scared of Sanctions.

I'm just scared that the North is actually going to grow a pair and threaten the lives of my brothers in the south

18. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

The US is not at war with Afghanistan. Like it or not, the US military remains very capable at conventional warfare.

The US does remain at war with the North Koreans. I think it speaks volumes that the US has not made any provocative action against the North Koreans while they continuously spout bluster and hate. Furthermore, I am not entirely convinced how genuinely the people of North Korea support their ruling regime. Yes, it is a sad situation for those people.

19. Happybunny macrumors 68000

While this is strictly true the situation in Afghanistan is not 'fluffy bunnies and unicorns'. It is not about whether the US can win wars, it's more about whether you can win the peace.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Do the North Korean people really like the leadership or are they just too scared to say otherwise? Are they truly brainwashed or do they know what is going on and just playing possum.

21. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Most of the recent wars have been against a stateless global network of enemies; ideologically driven enemies. Germany, Japan, those were enemies that were glad to be done with war and welcomed help to rebuild. There is no "terrorist" nation equivalent that would welcome an end to war.

Mixed in to this toxic mess we also have an extra layer of ancient ongoing feuds, corruption, and greed. It is not up to the US military to "win the peace" when the lands in which they are asked to operate are not interested in peace with the US, themselves, or the stateless foreign fighters that do not have shared interests.

North Korea would be a different challenge. Even if the war ended without a shot fired... unification would be a daunting challenge. More extreme than when the berlin wall fell.

22. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Well if you don't fix that, then expect more of this.

Whether the Middle East is done with you is still up for debate, just look at your airports the fact that you have the TSA. 19 people with box cutters on a clear Tuesday morning, ring a bell. I don't think you are finished middle east, and I certainly don't think that the middle east is finished with you.

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Can we cut off ALL their aid and completely blockade their country? That will teach them to shut the hell up and stop waiving their dicks around like people actually give a ****.

The US could destroy their entire country with one of our 18 Ohio-class submarines before they even know we are there.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Isn't their country blockaded as it is. The North Koreans are basically prisoners in their own country. Im sure the citizens woud be used as human shields with any attempt to invade.

25. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Would be a useful threat if they actually cared about that. The only people it would hurt would be the DPRK citizens, who are already treated like their government's pets to begin with.