North Korea to dismantle nuke test site

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IWantItThatWay, May 12, 2018.

1. IWantItThatWay Suspended

2. 0007776 Suspended

It collapsed already so was useless to them. This isn’t to surprising other than that they will allow outside media there.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

4. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

As mrkramer said, we've already seen reports that the test site collapsed and is no longer usable. They are losing nothing by disassembling the above ground stuff, (likely to move to another site for their next round of nuclear testing after they blow off Dumbass Donny's yuge deal, as they have everyone else's. Kim is losing nothing with this action and is likely laughing his fat little ass off over it.

5. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

They also may very well be done with testing. The last two counties to develop nuclear weapons (India and Pakistan) each completed six nuclear tests before ending their testing programs. North Korea has now completed six nuclear tests.

6. IWantItThatWay thread starter Suspended

Is this how you cope? Hoping Kim actually completed the nuke? Dang.

7. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I find it hilarious that you people are now so quick to believe anything and everything Kim says. If Obama accepted everything Kim said at face value the way Trump and his minions have, you would have rightfully called him pathetically naive.

8. IWantItThatWay thread starter Suspended

You've been wrong about Trump time and time again.

Hell, you've been wrong politically so much the past 5 years it's mind blowing how someone can be so wrong so many times in a row. And I don't even mean this as an insult - I am legit baffled at this amazing losing streak.

Why should I believe you're right this time?

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

North Korea is expected to soften air space restrictions and provide more access to foreign media than it has in decades in order to demonstrate it is dismantling nuclear testing ahead of diplomatic talks.

The country on Saturday confirmed it will invite reporters from the U.S., South Korea and other countries to "ensure transparency of discontinuance of the nuclear test," according to state media and reported by Reuters.

To bring in the foreign reporters, North Korea will be “opening territorial air space” May 23-25 to fly them in through China. Upon landing in the city of Wonsan, the guests will board a train to the facility said to be housed in an "uninhabited deep mountain area" near Mount Mantap.

North Korea's announcement comes the day after President Trump gave the official date and location for his historic summit with the country's ruler Kim Jong Un. The meeting is set for June 12 in Singapore.

Kim announced last month that the reclusive nation would suspend its nuclear tests in advance of a meeting with South Korean President Moon Jae-in. Kim has reportedly expressed his willingness to denuclearize the Korean peninsula, which would also require concessions from South Korea and the U.S.

After a preparatory meeting with Kim this week ahead of the Trump summit, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that full denuclearization would require a "robust verification” by the U.S. and

10. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

So, you would rather believe a murderous, communist, third-world dictator than Democrats?

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Hillary Clinton qualifies as both doesn't she?

12. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Yeah and he has big problems trying to keep even his elites (never mind the down-unders) fed and clothed and sheltered and warmed in winter. This may recently have dawned on him as it's just now getting into Spring. It might have been a hell of a winter making do with whatever China cut loose to them for supplies and heating fuels; we probably don't have much of a handle on that since they don't exactly report on instances of dissent. But when you're cold and hungry, you get a short fuse sometimes. It must show up now and then...

13. IWantItThatWay thread starter Suspended

Actually at this point Kim has had a better batting record. For example: he said he would release the 3 prisoners while Leftists in that thread were gloating that he was NOT going to release them. But guess what? He did.

I know sometimes I say "Democrat" but when I say that I am referring to the left, not all Democrats. Just the ones that get all their info from CNN or Colbert.

14. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

North Korea has had nukes for years.

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I don’t see why anyone interprets this as some short of concession. There have been reports going back months and months about how this test site is imploding and no longer usable. This to me is NK trying to spin the fact they no longer require testing and that they can no longer test at this site into some sort of surrender or action of good faith. It is not.

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Letting a few reporters go on a guided tour of a demolished nuclear test site doesn't meet my standards for either "openness" or "verification."

For the dummies out there, this is a carefully staged propaganda junket, designed to impress the world with N. Korea's nuclear capabilities. The fact that the test site is decommissioned is, from Kim's perspective, immaterial. He wants the world to know he's got the atom bomb. How many does he have left? He'll never give you a straight answer. Because as long as there is a reasonable chance he's got one or two squirrelled away someplace, there is no way a US military commander is going to sign off on an attack on N. Korea.

A word about "Regime Change." It's not practical from the outside. Our adventure in Iraq ought to tell you that. And Saddam Hussein didn't have nuclear weapons.

A word about economics, sanctions, and North Korea. Kim Jong-Un has to maintain a very fine balance on his economy. He obviously needs enough economic activity to keep his people from mass starvation, and to maintain his military and security forces. But he doesn't want too much prosperity. Revolutions or coup d'etats don't happen in societies where everyone spends most of their efforts just trying to survive. Street demonstrations and sit-ins are the purview of middle-class university students. Factory workers and farm laborers are too tired and hungry at the end of a 14-hour day.

North Korea is making this overture now because Kim needs a little more economic activity. Preferably in the form of economic aid (AKA "a bribe") he hopes to get from China and the US in exchange for playing the "denuclearization" card. But "denuclearization" mean Kim will promise not to make any more nuclear bombs. Whether he is sincere is immaterial. Because as long as there is the reasonable possibility he's got one old sitting in a bunker someplace, no US army commander is going to send masses of troops across the DMZ.

17. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

18. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

LOL. Trump will give NK billions of dollars for "dismantling" a defunct (unusable) nuclear site. Too funny.

19. MarkusL macrumors 6502

I bet Mexico will pay for it.

20. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Remind me again how the Right was upset when Iran received their own money back for signing the deal Trump just blew up.

21. GermanSuplex, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018

GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

You're making stuff up, out of nowhere. The right was bragging about the prisoners being released before they were released. Others were simply pointing out they weren't freed. Plus, Trump supporters were bragging about the meeting and impending world peace... none of which has happened yet.

Also, the logic of them dismantling an unusable test site will fly right over the heads of Trump supporters as they try to turn this into some massive victory.

Please note, I would like to not have to hear about NK for a while. If Trump can get them to the world stage, that would be great. However, I'm skeptical for a few reasons;

-Trump insulted Un, and I doubt he has just "forgotten" all of that.
    -Un will not give up his power, and as another poster mentioned, lots of prosperity for the country will probably harm his control.
    -I find it hard to believe that men much smarter than Orange Nixon couldn't get NK to the table and get them to follow through on promises. So when I see a guy who can't make deals at home, who pulled us out of the Iran deal, who doesn't seem to know an awful lot of anything besides gaming the system... I just have a lingering suspicion NK may take advantage of him. Rest assured, NK powers know that Trump is - to say the least - "not like" past presidents. They will gladly stroke his ego in a meeting, pose for pics, get sanctions eased or lifted, then go back to doing whatever they want.

I'm sure Trumpsters will see this as a liberal simply not wanting Trump to succeed, and that's not true. Sure, I hope he fails at all of his policies back home, most of them are detrimental to anyone not golfing at Mar-A-Lago, but I certainly don't care who can help us avoid conflict with NK, or to get them to denuclearize. I just don't see it happening though, at least not at this point.

22. IWantItThatWay thread starter Suspended

This is like the third time you've done this in the past 2 days:

1. Obama making fun of Special Olympians wasn't really him making fun of Special Olympians
    2. Someone saying "What about Trump?" really wasn't using Whataboutism
    3. People (including you) semi-bragging the prisoners weren't released means you were actually right even though they were released.

At this point, who should I trust? Give me a good reason to trust you over North Korea.

23. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

It has gone from “gloating” to “semi-bragging” in a pretty short span. As the person who made the comment in question, there was no gloating or bragging about it. The point was simply that Trump completely mishandled the detainee neogitiation and release, which is still 100% accurate. I did not doubt that they would eventually be released, but Trump’s bragging about it in advance made it a much bigger PR coup for Kim than it ever should have been. And Trump’s statement that the detainees were afforded “excellent” treatment was beyond belief. You people would be calling for his head if Obama ever made a similar stupid comment.

24. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I was correct on all three counts. You can try to make it sound worse, but it doesn’t change reality.

1. Obama was making fun of his bowling skills, not Special Olympics participants. He - in poor taste - used the SO to bash his own bowling skills. You know this, but in your desperate attempt to “prove” Obama is just as bad as Trump, you will never see it that way.

2. Simply saying “what about” isn’t whataboutism. Someone was pointing out your hypocrisy and it was a pertinent point.

3. You saw it as bragging - I saw it as Trump bragging prematurely, just like he and his supporters are bragging now about a meeting that hasn’t taken place yet, and the outcomes from that yet-to-happen meeting.