North Korea to release US prisoners

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IWantItThatWay, May 2, 2018.

1. IWantItThatWay Suspended

http://www.businessinsider.com/north-korea-releases-us-prisoners-2018-5?r=UK&IR=T

Trump brought peace there, and is now bringing US political prisoners home.

Remember when Democrats were confused about Trump and North Korea? They criticized him, said he was being "played by Kim Jung-Un."

Example -

Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton on Trump and NK: "I don't see a plan."

If we still had these geniuses (Clinton, Obama, etc. etc.) in charge we'd never have peace. How was Trump able to do this? Simple: Kim said he had a button; Trump said he had a much bigger one. You treat brutal people with brutality. Brutality is the only language they speak.

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Every day that goes by is another day that Hillary isn't president. Just brings a smile to your face doesn't it?

In respect to the NK situation I'll remain cautiously optimistic. Probably until at least a year after a historic handshake between Un and Trump.

3. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

The liberal MSM will spin this to suggest Trump had nothing to do with it. A couple of weeks ago when things where f'd up Trump owned it. Now he's barely part of it when things go good.

4. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Trump hasn’t “brought” peace to Korea. North and South Korea are at roughly the same stage of negotiations they reached under each of the last three administrations. In fact, they got further toward peace treaties during those administrations than they are today. Let’s see if they make even more progress this time before we crown Trump the god-king of peace. (And North Korea released US detainees during each of the last three administrations, too.)

5. IWantItThatWay thread starter Suspended

Lol right? I am actually working on a compilation of anti-Trumpers bashing Trump for his North Korea policies in 2017 and early 2018. It's glorious so far.
    --- Post Merged, May 2, 2018 ---
    You really don't want this to happen don't you? Dang dude.

When Obama killed Osama I celebrated for weeks.

6. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Never in history has KJU met with the south during the peace process, until now. Never has the NK leader met with the SK leader at the Joint Security Area, shook hands and even CROSSED into the south until now. This is a YUUUUGGGEEE step forward that was unthinkable until now. Since KJU himself has injected himself into the peace process directly it's highly likely this time it's the real deal.

7. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

What I want is irrelevant. I just see a bunch of Trump fanboys cheering when he spikes the ball on the 20 yard line. It’s idiotic.
    --- Post Merged, May 2, 2018 ---
    His father met with the South Korean president multiple times and announced that they were making progress to a final peace treaty, even getting to the point of signing agreements that were far more detailed in scope than anything they’ve discussed so far this time. And every time the deal fell apart.

8. IWantItThatWay thread starter Suspended

North Korea is going to release American political prisoners and your reaction is to compare it to spiking a football? Dang man.

You REALLY don't want this to happen. This is TDS at its peak people.

9. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Of course not. It will show weakness.... Now I wonder what crap the left will do to take away attention to this yet again, positive news.

10. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

North Korea released 10 US detainees when Obama was president. Did that get North and South Korea any closer to peace?

11. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

If Trump meets with KJU and they sit down with moon and sign a peace treaty, that will officially end the Korean war. That's the kind of stuff that goes into texts books for public schools. It will go down as one of the greatest achievements for a sitting president. I think this is what is so upsetting to you. You would rather have the Korean peninsula go down in flames, so Trump doesn't get kudos in the history books. That's a very selfish and shady position.

12. IWantItThatWay thread starter Suspended

Yeah, Otto Warmbier agrees. Oh wait, Obama couldn't get him released (and I read he didn't even try).

Last year, it was "Trump can't do this with North Korea omg he is going to fail!" and now it's "Lol Trump deserves no credit nothing is going to happen anyway!"

13. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

14. 0007776 Suspended

Shhh... don’t let them know that we have been down this road before, it’ll just make these threads funnier when it inevitably falls apart down the road a bit.

15. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Just a few months ago when Trump was saying his nuke button is bigger and actually works, the liberals in here where calling him a warmonger, saying peace and diplomacy is the way to go. Now that there's been so much progress on peace the liberals are now saying it won't work and trump gets no credit. "scratches head":rolleyes::oops:

16. IWantItThatWay thread starter Suspended

You've been wrong about Trump this entire time, but this time you'll be right! Lol.

17. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Frankly, that’s like saying that I don't want Trump to find the cure for cancer. Of course I do, but it’s foolish to act now like it’s going to happen.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Stop being so predictable. We've never been in this situation under any administration. I think Trump deserves at least a small portion of credit. If this does just turn into some elaborate ruse by NK and blow up I'm sure you'll be there on the sidelines applauding because your hatred of Trump eclipses your love of peace. Prove me wrong.

19. IWantItThatWay thread starter Suspended

If Trump found the cure for cancer, you'd blame him for putting pharmaceutical companies out of business or say he just wants people to die of heart disease instead.

20. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

That’s completely false. We were in similar situations under each of Clinton, Bush and Obama.

21. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Trump threatened “fire and fury”, name called, and there was a meeting with the SoS and Un.

This - and Trump will get my credit if time passes and things hold up - is a way to get sanctions lifted and restart their program. Time will tell, but all we have now is style. We need substance.

22. IWantItThatWay thread starter Suspended

LOL what? in 2017 it was the total opposite.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/904309527381716992?lang=en

Look at the replies to that Tweet:

It's a frickin gold mine.

This is almost election night gold mine status.

23. RichardMZhlubb, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018

RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

This is a very helpful site with a relatively complete chronology of US-North Korean relations over the last 25 years. A few key excepts:

They’re just like the cylons (“All of this has happened before; all of it will happen again. And they have a plan.”)

24. darksithpro, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018

darksithpro macrumors 6502a

One thing I don't think liberals understand very well is Asian politics are a lot different than European politics. In Asia opposing countries commonly make threats against one another, while in Europe it's the opposite. The thing about Asians is if you don't stand firm on your threats, or promises you will not be respected, or feared. This is why NK and China never took Obama very seriously. The lead from behind, never consider military force as an option made his administration weak and not respected by the Chinese, or North Koreans. Trump, publicly willing to go to war has earned respect and a kneeling of the knee for peace process to move forward. This is also true when it comes to the Middle East and Africa, as they very well understand FORCE, or possible force is taken much more seriously.

RESPECT:

Definition of respect
    1: a relation or reference to a particular thing or situation
    • remarks having respect to an earlier plan
    2: an act of giving particular attention : consideration
    3a : high or special regard : esteem
    b : the quality or state of being esteemed
    c respects plural : expressions of high or special regard or deference
    • paid our respects
    4: particular, detail
    • a good plan in some respects

25. 0007776 Suspended

More likely if Trump claimed a cure for cancer it would be like when Yahya Jammeh found a cure for HIV/AIDS. And Trump supporters would be throwing temper tantrums when no one believed him.