North Korean sanctions: whoops, too late.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Aug 8, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

If the new UN sanctions on North Korea were intended to stop their research program before they managed to construct an ICBM tipped by a nuclear warhead, well, looks like that didn't work. From a document leaked to the Washington Post:

While more than a decade has passed since North Korea’s first nuclear detonation, many analysts believed it would be years before the country’s weapons scientists could design a compact warhead that could be delivered by missile to distant targets. But the new assessment, a summary document dated July 28, concludes that this critical milestone has already been reached.

“The IC [intelligence community] assesses North Korea has produced nuclear weapons for ballistic missile delivery, to include delivery by ICBM-class missiles,” the assessment states, in an excerpt read to The Washington Post. The assessment’s broad conclusions were verified by two U.S. officials familiar with the document. It is not yet known whether the reclusive regime has successfully tested the smaller design, although North Korea officially last year claimed to have done so.​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...79f191668ed_story.html?utm_term=.1e01dd0bb5ab

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

it was too late the day the evil spawns dad did not use a condom.

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

So the $4billion Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton gave them didn't halt their plans? GTFO of here?

5. MadeTheSwitch, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017

MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

The mistake made in the past, and even the present is thinking they will behave like any other rational country on the planet. They will not. They are a cult or hive mentality. Thus they don't care about sanctions or hardships. They will sacrifice literally anything for this pursuit of nuclear weapons. They will go without electricity. They will go without food and let many of their citizens starve.

We need to understand that. We need to understand that you cannot reason with an unreasonable enemy. I think war is ultimately inevitable because they will not stand down. They have a single purpose and will not be deterred from it.

So we have two choices, stop it, or just let them become a nuclear power with weapons that could destroy us or our allies and just hope they won't use them. Is that a safe bet though?

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You just tell me to **** off? lol

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Ugh...I keep threatening to launch a nuke at Apple's stupid auto correct and then forget to do it. I really need to turn it off. Why can't they make a better auto correct? What is wrong with them? They have had plenty of time to improve their product, and still it produces nonsense. (Sigh)

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Carter or Clinton?

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Back to the point, so your saying bribing them wasn't going to work? Then the time to act was 21yr ago, BEFORE they could take out all of Los Angeles. Which you would think even the Liberals in D.C. could get behind because NK taking out California would be like a conservatives wet dream.

10. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No, what I am saying is that no one 21 years ago realized that bribing them wouldn't work. Actually it did work here and there, but that was with the father and grandfather. I don't think anyone foresaw a petulant child taking over that country anymore than we foresaw one running ours. But here we are.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Wasn't that hard to imagine NK reneging on that deal. It's why many are skeptical of the Iran deal.

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Hindsight and all

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you say that like it's a bad thing :p

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yes, but all along every president from both parties has made an attempt to avoid war there. War will be disastrous. Not just for North Korea, but South Korea, China, possibly Japan and Russia..the entire region will be plunged into chaos with mass casualties on all sides. So the can was always kicked down the road hoping another solution would present itself. But one never has.

15. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

Was waiting for the blame game to start. Didn't take long. Partisan politics isn't going to mean a thing when your city glows in the dark after an attack.

16. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

No country that has ever obtained/created nukes has ever given them up.
    Once they detonated their first bomb, it was over.

It also appears that the miniaturized nuke that Kim was photographed with last year was in fact more than just a mock up.

17. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

This is the problem with America. You get one party in power, they try to negotiate one way; then another party comes in, they throw all the negotiations in the trash, and try threats. Then, you get another party in, they don't follow through on the threats, and start negotiating again. Then threats. Then negotiation.

The Chinese have it right -- a long, slow, consistent approach is far superior to the constantly vacillating approach of the US. If we'd backed off and made NK our friend, it wouldn't matter whether they had nukes or not. If we'd pushed forward and invaded (and we'd have needed somebody like Bush 41 to have pulled that off successfully without getting China involved; Trump couldn't pull a coalition together if his life depended on it), we could have taken out NK years ago.

Now, we've got the worst of both worlds. It is far too late to buy off NK. And now, invading them has a significant risk of significant American casualties, on the American mainland itself.

Personally, I think it is time to throw in the towel. North Korea is simply not worth wasting our time and resources on. Making them our eternal enemy, without ever defeating them over these last six decades, has failed. We should, I think, just withdraw and leave the peninsula to its own devices. South Korea might wind up in chaos, but the absolute worst result for the Kim regime is to lose the bogey man they have always relied upon to prop up their rule. I can't imagine that Kim could possibly control a united Korea; it would slip from his grasp in just a few years of occupation. And China certainly won't be interested in helping out such a volatile neighbor, particularly if it loses its importance in the endless proxy war with the US.

North Korea won't be pointing weapons at the US if it has more important issues to deal with at home.

18. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

19. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Well they've avoided war there because every "expert" claims NK is on the verge of collapse. I agree war will be disastrous, but it will be even more messy now with nukes. NK fires off a Nuke and we'll likely make NK uninhabitable for 100yrs. The solution is going to come from hard pressure on China. It might not happen until the boats are in the water heading to NK. Clinton struck the deal with Kim Il Sung who died shortly after in 1994. Kim Jong Il is the one who kept the program going under raps, not the whack job of a infant who's running the show now.

20. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

But we wouldn't just be leaving the peninsula to it's own devices, but Japan too. Do you think North Korea wouldn't try to attack South Korea? Or lob a missle at Japan eventually?

The resulting war would result in huge disruptions to the world economy as many things come from south korea..cars, LCD panels, chips, phones, lots of things.

22. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

This is another threat that can be countered with a west coast wall, a wee bit taller than the southern border wall. It will be fantastic. You'll see.

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

There's a potentially bigger problem that I haven't seen anybody else mention.

They have nuclear warheads, and they've pretty much run themselves into widespread poverty as a result. So how does a country with nuclear weapons get money? By selling them to someone who has money, but no nuclear weapons - say, ISIS or whatever. Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

24. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

This.
    SK depends on the U.S. for help maintaining the armistice agreement with NK.
    The U.S. signed a mutual defense agreement with SK after the armistice was signed. An attack on SK is an attack on the U.S.
    We can't walk away without SK falling and possibly Japan.

25. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Give me a break, the entire front page of the PRSI board is partisan politics, now all of a sudden when your side was in the drivers seat of a failed strategy "we must rise above it". I'm pretty sure the left (rightfully so) puts the current situation in Iraq squarely on the shoulders of Bush 43. In fact I rarely hear the left blame Obama for anything in the middle east.