Not able to add Events to a Group Calendar in iCal

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brainwave89, Mar 17, 2008.

1. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

After creating a group calendar in iCal I am not able to add Events to a Group Calendar in iCal. When I do I get the following message:
    You can't add events or to do items to a calendar group.

Why is it you can't add events to a Group Calendar?

My intention is to create a family calendar that can be updated by me and four other Mac users in my family. I want to publish this family calendar to my .mac account. Is it possible to create this calendar so members outside my family cannot view it?

Thank you for looking.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Are you trying to add an event to multiple calendars at once? That doesn't work, as the message states. I also think you're confusing a group calendar with a calendar group. Two completely different things.

That said, .Mac doesn't support editing shared iCal calendars by people other than the publisher. It would be nice if it did, though... the only way I know of to do this is to set up a Mac with Leopard Server and create a shared calendar there.:(

3. brainwave89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you wrldwzrd89.

No, I am not trying to add an event to multiple calendars.

What is the difference between a group calendar and a calendar group?

I am getting that if the the five of us in my family want to see what everyone is doing there is no need to have one calendar that we add events to. We need to set-up our individual calendars and then share them with the other members of the family.

Does that make sense?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, what you say makes perfect sense. The difference between a group calendar and calendar group is this:

Group calendar = one calendar shared by more than one person
    Calendar group = one person using more than one calendar

5. brainwave89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks again wrldwzrd89. Your explanation about the differences in groups helped me understand them much better.

One more ?, do I need a .mac account in order to share calendars within my family?

Cheers!

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It's not required but having one sure makes sharing calendars a lot simpler. If you have your own WebDAV server that iCal can publish to, then you can use that. Otherwise, .Mac is the easiest solution.