Not All Kisses Are Equal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by cycocelica, May 31, 2008.

1. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Not all kisses at Safeco Field are equal

There are still parents trying to shelter their children from same-sex couples? Jesus. Welcome to the real world people.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's a sad commentary on where we are as a society; even with the recent news out of California.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Are we really meant to buy the line about no tongues because they'd just eaten garlic fries? Some of my best make outs have been savoury.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Holy gross!!! :eek:

But really, does salivating over each other belong at a ball game???

Methinks they were just doing it for the shock value for those around them.

Keep it in the bedroom, please. Straights should pay heed also.

It's a public place, for God's sake!!!

5. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

No making out at the ball game please. Gay or straight. Thanks.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Do you have any reason to believe that? I mean any real fact? No, your assuming that, because they're gay. Don't. Use some fact to support you're claim, which of course you lack.

I don't think they were making out. Not based on the report.

Also the issue here wasn't the kissing, it was the gay kissing.

Honestly get over it. Your kids are going to discover there are gay people in the world. I bet the kids won't shut down. In fact parents talking to them may help get rid of some of the negative stereotypes of gays by teens.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I've seen it happen, so I know what goes through their mind.

Regardless, there is a time and a place for everything.

The ball game is not one of those places.

9. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Its no more appropriate in a public place than it is for a guy and girl to make out in public. A measure of modesty, would be in order. ;)

10. cycocelica thread starter macrumors 68000

cycocelica

If I want to kiss my girlfriend at a baseball game, I have every right. Since when has a kiss been considered gross in public?

It is no different if two men or women want to kiss. If you are grossed out by a kiss in a public place, you might want to just live in your house the rest of your life.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well first of all, they weren't "making out" according to the article; they simply "pecked" at each other.

Second of all, the usher explicitly used the complaint of a woman who said she didn't want to explain to her child what a same-sex couple is in order to backup his claim that what they were doing was indecent.

My take on this is mixed. On the one hand, I really don't care if people kiss in public. As long as they're not going at it full throttle, it's quite easy for me (and mothers with their children) to divert their eyes.

Now I of course don't like it when people are groping and fondling each other in public, because I think that crosses the line of decency. A kiss though? Really? A peck on the cheek? Is that really all that indecent? People need to grow up. You have the right to be offended in public. :rolleyes:

Next thing you know, we'll be asking people not to hold hands or color their hair in strange shades, after all, that too would require an explanation to one's children. :rolleyes:

If I was in the mother's position, I would have used the opportunity to explain that when people love each other, they kiss each other. Like all children, I'm sure the child would have exclaimed, "gross" or "disgusting," not because it was a same-sex couple, but because children find all kissing to be gross and disgusting.

This mother underestimates the emotional intelligence of her own child. Children are remarkably accepting and really don't care about biases or prejudice by themselves; it's only what we teach them that sticks with them.

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I'm not a big fan of excessive public displays of affection, but it's a bit funny, isn't it, how many people become quite adamant they don't want anyone, straight or gay, exchanging so much as affectionate glances in public, but only when the discussion is about gay people doing so.

I agree I don't want to see anyone groping and performing mutual tonsil examinations in public, but people exchange small, politely restrained affectionate gestures all the time, and they are not only inoffensive, but can also be somewhat charming.

As far as whether the couple were out to shock those around them, I draw your attention back to the statement that Guerrero's date was "still in the closet." In case it's not clear, I should point out that, among other things, this means the date has no interest in making her sexuality a public spectacle, making a "freak out the squares" agenda somewhat implausible. Incidentally, I applaud Mr. Jamieson and his newspaper for having the sensitivity not to identify her.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I have no problems with a kiss.

I guess none of us sitting on the side-lines really know what was going on.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

there is nothing wrong with people showing their love for one another. unless it goes beyond decency. meaning kisses are just fine.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They weren't "making out". They kissed each other. I'm certain other couples have given each other a peck on the lips or cheek at games without receiving a complaint. It's a peck, not full-on tongue action.

The complaint probably wouldn't have even been made if this "peck" on the cheek was between a man and woman. Like Calboy said, I don't mind if a couple kiss in public as long as they're not really going at it. This doesn't sound like one of those cases, does it. We don't function on the basis that we're not to offend anyone. Who cares if that mother would have had to explain to her children why 2 women were kissing? She should. It's her job. I know she didn't make that complaint (the usher did), but if she has to explain something to her children, it's not really offensive. She's just being a lazy cow.

Without proof, that's just a stupid statement.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I don't believe you were either, or were you??

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Assuming it was because they want attention? Thats such a HUGE jump.

Unless you have ANY reason to support the claim, please don't bring it up.

18. Desertrat macrumors newbie

From the article: "The couple exchanged intermittent pecks and kisses..."

That's more than just a typical greeting-kiss at the airport. It's not really the appropriate behavior at a baseball game or similar venue. The straight or gay aspect is immaterial. It's similar to yapping on a damned cellphone, distracting to those around.

But today's world is getting overloaded with spoiled brats lacking any knowledge of how to act in public.

It's not new, of course. Just more of it. E.g., goes way back to when "Scooter" Rizzuto and Bill White were announcing baseball games on TV. During one rather dull game the TV camera panned out across the stands. The centerfield stands were empty but for one couple making out.

"Gosh, look at that. She's kissing him between the strikes!"
    "Yeah, and between the balls, too."
    "You got yourself into it, you get yourself out of it."

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Ironic, isn't it? Someone gets upset at a minor display of affection while watching a ritualised display of war, often accompanied by lots of manly hugging. No wonder she has difficulty explaining things.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Something tells me there's more to it for you, though.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Of course there is. Funny that the only time a discomfort with PDAs as benign as some kissing comes up is when it's you homos doing it.

Notice they don't come here complaining about having to explain kissing on TV shows to their kids. Until Ellen wants to do it. Sure they complain about TV being "oversexed", but none of them would seek to ban an occasional liplock on the basis of how difficult it is to explain to their kids.

Same thing in real life.

And of course they don't mean it's actually difficult to explain to their kids. That's not the real reason. It's because they don't like it. I mean, how hard is it to say "when two people love each other, they kiss each other sometimes"? Not that hard. So it's not that it's difficult to explain, it's that they don't want to accept it.

But you don't have a right not to be offended in public. Until these phobic types can find a section of the Constitution that says otherwise, they cannot force their views on the nation.

22. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

OK, I'll ask the dumb question - if one of them is still in the closet, why is she doing something out in public that's bound to get possibly unwanted attention drawn to herself? If I were doing something I didn't want discovered, I sure wouldn't be doing it where someone I know might see me or hear about it.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Because she can't do those things at home. Do you know where they were from? Were they in a ball park in their neighborhood, or did they travel to a city somewhere away from where they live?

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

To take this to an extreme, what about if they were having sex? Some stuff shouldn't be allowed in public, I'm not saying kissing should be one but still...

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Strawman... give me a break