Not an Apple fanboy but...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ashin, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

I still look at my iPhone 4 and think it is as beautiful as the first day I bought it.

Most gadgets lose their shine after a few months, but my iPhone 4... another story, and the retina display is still amazing

Anyone else agree?

2. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

I am an Apple Fanboy and I love my Galaxy S3. Strange how that works out.

3. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

that can be said about almost any apple product, me thinks.

i look at my iPod touch, my mac book air... and i love them the same way as the day i bought them.

in contrast i saw a friend with the samsung galaxy s3 the other day... at first glance it caught my attention, but once i held it and at a closer inspection i realised how over-sized it was for a phone and how cheap it felt compared to the iPhone.

4. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

you are programmed to believe it feels cheap. However, if an apple was printed on the back; it would be the greatest "industrial design" with "magical ceramic composits" and the "retina" display.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What a tired argument that is against people who prefer Apple products to their competitors

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Actually, if it had an Apple Logo on the back, I would hold it in my hand, note the creakiness of the plastic, and dismiss it as a counterfeit.

7. daviddcmd macrumors member

I'm convinced the S3 is made this way in order to make it indestructible.

It does feel cheap but if dropped along with an iPhone it wouldn't be a contest.

8. matttye macrumors 601

Mine doesn't creak, but I don't fanny about with it trying to make it creak...I just use it.

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I still think the 4/4S is stunning.

You just don't see that same commitment to design and materials in other phones, especially not anything made by Samsung.

Though, I do like the HTC One X. Pretty amazing design and build as well. The Lumia 900 is slick as well.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Eh, I don't know. I don't ever see arguments that the 3GS feels cheap. They are both (3GS and SGS3) plastic, and they both feel similar (in terms of material) in the hand. The 3GS feels a bit "glossier" or "slipperier", but that's about it.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have a 3GS and they don't feel the same at all to me

12. outaru macrumors member

I definitely agree with the thread starter. I hope the next iPhone will be as stunning as the 4S

13. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I'm an apple fan boy and I'm still loving my iPhone 4. Had it since June 2010 and its still in mint condition and performs flawlessly.

14. lordofthereef, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Really? What about Apple's plastic feels higher quality to Samsung's plastic? And again, same and similar are different things. Perhaps you are missing my point, though. Many are saying phones that are plastic are cheap. Apple did it two generations in a row, and continues to sell one of them.

15. throys macrumors 6502

Love my iPhone 4S although now my new iPad is my favourite hardly use my Pc now for anything.

16. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I actually wish they'd go back to plastic.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

That's perfectly fine. What I am trying to say is that many dismiss anything NOT iPhone as "cheap" because it isn't made completely of glass and aluminum (externally).

My personal opinion is that people are translating the feel of the battery door as cheap. Looking back, I am not sure I can recall anyone ever saying an Android or WP7 phone that didn't have a removable battery felt cheap in the hand, and none of these phones are glass backed.

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I didn't say plastic was cheap though, but I have handled both and they do feel very different to me

19. animatedude macrumors 65816

aww i agree 100%..yes it's like falling in love with someone.:eek:

20. Ryno76 macrumors member

Any product that I spend $200 or more on, better have a nostalgia feel to it.....plastic or metal.....

21. Timzer macrumors 6502

Please, Please, Please!! Whatever it is you are smoking/drinking, you gotta share.

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Ridicule all you like
    I own a 3GS and it feels solid and substantial
    My co worker has a Galaxy S3 and it feels very different
    I have no problem saying it feels cheap
    So, no, plastic doesn't necessarily mean it feels cheap, but comparing the two... yes, one feels substantial, the other does not

To each his own, and others are entitled to their opinion
    Mine is based on my own evaluation of the two devices, not some Apple blinders

23. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Have you held any of the Android/WP7 devices that don't have a removable battery? If so, what did you think? Some examples are the HTC ONE X, Moto Razer/ Razer max, Nokia Lunia 900, etc.

My next question, and this one isn't necessarily directed towards you specifically, is "what exactly is this substantial feel?" Are these phones falling apart? Do they stop working after a certain point? In other words, what's the difference in terms of choosing a product?

24. lilo777 macrumors 603

But do they feel cheap?