Not at all happy about the new iPod icon in iOS5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stofferdk, Jun 8, 2011.

1. stofferdk macrumors regular

Is anyone else not too happy about Apple having split the iPod app into music and video again, and gone back to the old icons?

I have always hated the music app icon - I was so happy it had changed when I made the shift from iPod touch to iPhone back in the days : /

Guess I wont be able to change until final release and jailbreak is released too.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

In an effort to unify the UI across their devices, it makes more sense this way.

The iPhone having the iPod app was fine because it contained Movies, TV Shows, Music and Audio/Video Podcast.

But for some reason Apple was also calling it the iPod app on the iPad, even though it only contained your Music and Audio Podcast. Movies, TV Shows and Video Podcast were moved into the Videos App.

Also, since the first iPod touch Apple has had two separate apps for Music and Videos, and that made sense because it would be weird to have an iPod App on an iPod. Previous iPods like the Classic and Nano have separate tabs for Music, Videos, Photos.

I own all 3 devices, and I did file a Feedback to Apple for this issue because I never understood why all three devices had different Apps and icons, so I'm actually happy that they are doing this because now it will be the same across all of their devices.

3. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Hope the Music app will allow my Xbox 360 to play songs off my iPhone while being connected by USB..

4. pixelchild macrumors member

i agree with you. i wish they didn't separate it. also it's ugly.

5. Pared macrumors 65816

Then why does the iPad still not have a clock app, stocks, weather, etc?

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Unlikely. iOS devices don't provide access to the file system like older iPods did, so devices such as an Xbox 360 can't access the music library on the device.

7. kre62 macrumors 68000

I also dont like the new way and hope they go back to iPod before launch

8. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

It's a bit annoying to have a separate app for video, but it was more annoying to have a Video tab inside the app that took up one of only 4 slots at the bottom. I think this makes more sense. You'll get used to it.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm super happy they split them up.

But I do wish the 'Music' app would keep the iPod icon. I do like that better.

10. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

I agree - it's really weird. The lack of stocks/weather wrecks havoc on the iPad notification center in iOS 5 too. If you don't have any notifications, and you pull it down, you get like an inch of blank space. Looks buggy. On the iPhone it looks great because it has (incredibly smooth) widgets for weather and stocks.

11. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

13. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I agree totally! ;)

What a society we live in when someone's complaint is on the look of an icon. :rolleyes:

14. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

15. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Think about how this is supposed to work with the cloud and the use of the app. This keeps things easy to work with.

16. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

Mostly I hate the icon - its fugly! But I think its much more streamlined to just have it all under the previous iPod icon, including video.

As soon as jailbreaking becomes available on the os5 final, I am getting my iPod icon back for sure!

17. 01Shambrook macrumors newbie

This doesn't make sense to me neither. If this is an effort to create more consistency among all devices, wouldn't it have been better/easier to just unify the Music and Video apps on the iPod Touch?

18. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I don't really mind that they've split them up, but I do wish there was a way to hide icons I dont use (I don't watch videos on my phone, but now it's just one more icon in my 'Apple' folder. I don't really like the Music icon either. The dark symbol is out of place, it should ideally be white. I don't see why they couldn't have kept the iPod icon to be honest.

19. JASApplications macrumors 65816

It isn't a massive deal to me but if I had the choice I would probably use the iPod App and have music and videos in the same place. More organised in my opinion!

20. helloimD4NNY macrumors regular

I also agree. I don't like having music here, videos there, etc. Especially since I don't use the videos app, it's useless and a waste of space on my phone.

I vote for Apple making an option in settings to have music, videos, etc in one app(iPod) or separate. That shouldn't be to hard for Apple to do, right? And bam! All users are happy(on this issue).

21. geiman macrumors newbie

Definitely like the iPod app style better; once the jailbreaking scene catches up I'll be anxious to see if the old hack to combine the music and video icons into the iPod icon still works. Here's to hoping it does.

22. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

the same company that still wont allow custom sms, is now going to give settings to combine apps? dont hold your breathe, anyone who has used ipod touches will tell you its not that big of a deal

23. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Last I heard that was included in iOS5. I do think that this combining of apps would be a lot more complicated than helloimD4NNY is making it out to be though, but then again I'm not a developer so I'm not entirely sure.

24. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

25. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

One icon, one app would be my vote.
    Call it Media or something.
    Having two is completely pointless. It's not like you're ever going to be running them both at the same time.