Not bad of a painting for who did it.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by waloshin, Jul 7, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

The person who made this painting was actually good. Though sadly their only remembered for one thing.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

Or

[​IMG]

2. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I believe those are Hitler paintings.

I don't see how they are sadly only remembered for one thing. I mean, you know, its only one of the worst atrocities ever known to man kind.

3. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Assume you mean they were "good" as in a good artist and not in any other way. Pure evil can't be masked by a good painting.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It is...Hitler was an avid painter amongst some other things. There was an auction last year that featured a lot of his work including a picture that apparently he painted of himself. The auction did not raise as much money as hoped, but the media sure made a large deal about it.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Code:
    http://ferdyonfilms.com/Europa%20[B]Hitler%20painting[/B].JPG
    The URL agrees. :p

I never understood why people always say he was a terrible artist; those look pretty incredible to me.

6. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Yeah I don't understand that either. It's like when everyone started saying Michael Vick was a horrible football player because of the pitbull fighting. Yes, pitbull fighting is freaking horrifying, but that doesn't make his skill in football go down.

7. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Haha, so does the signature at the bottom of the paintings.

I think he was a decent artist, I actually like the paintings.

However, I certainly wouldn't venture to say its sad that they're remembered for only one thing as the OP did. Considering he was responsible for the deaths of millions of people I'd say its fair game to associate anything he did with his horrible legacy.

8. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Example:

You ask anybody what do they know about Hilter and anybody especially the younger generations are going to say Genocide, not his great paintings.

9. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

And why shouldn't they? His paintings, though decent, pale in comparison to the death of 11 million people. His paintings aren't even an integral part of his legacy considering all the mass murders, exterminations, military campaigns, propaganda, etc. Hitler, the mediocre painter, is nothing in comparison to Hitler, the murderous German military leader responsible for the genocide of 11 million people, and more than partially responsible for WWII. If you asked anyone what they know about Hitler, they'd say German leader responsible for the holocaust, not "oh, Hitler, the painter from Germany who killed a few people."

10. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I would just call that being able to use both the left and right parts of your brain effectively.

11. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

How much people did Hitler kill himself? Hitler is not the only one to blame, did Hitler kill all 11 million people with his own hands? What about the followers, they take no blame? Hitler was just the leader nothing else. People didn't have to follow him, he could have been stopped. So if someone tells you its alright to jump off a bridge, you would? People have to take their responsibility for their actions.

12. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

As this seems to be a bit of a "let's so who I can get to bite" thread I'm off and this thread is on it's way to the PRSI or wastelands.

13. NP3 macrumors regular

Wow. What did you learn in school? He was a military and political leader. He signed off on *many* orders. Your argument in modern day context would excuse Osama bin Laden for 9/11. Or even George Bush for invading Iraq :p

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Apologist much?

Lethal

15. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

You might think about taking a WWII history course at some point.

Some top followers were tried . Hitler, as leader of the country gave the order to exterminate the Jews in concentration camps, I never said he was solely responsible for the holocaust (obviously he had people to carry out his orders, but ordering murders for many purposes is the same as committing the act; that being said, I doubt the holocaust would have occurred without Hitler), but he was the leader and he ordered his "final solution." There are numerous reasons why many Germans supported Hitler at the time, they were mislead extremely by Hitler, they had been in a significant depression and seen their country and pride shattered after WWI. Hitler promised a lot, he was an excellent speaker, he inspired confidence, and people believed what he had to say. It wasn't like today in the 1930's, you couldn't just google a leaders voting record or see exactly where he stood on every issue. People believed what leaders said and the German people believe Hitler was going to restore them to greatness.

The fact is, Hitler was a relatively unknown artist, and he probably still would be today had he not committed such terrible acts as a world leader. It is quite doubtful we would be discussing Hitler's mediocre work in comparison with many superior artists of the 1900s.

16. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

It is certainly fair to say he should have stuck with the painting.

17. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Was it really Osama Bin Laden or was it Bush? Just because the George W Bush said it was Osama Bin Laden doesn't mean it was.

18. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

One more thing...

“Naturally the common people don’t want war. But after all, it is the
    leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it’s always a
    simple matter to drag people along whether it is a democracy or a
    fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship.
    Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of
    the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are
    being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and
    for exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every
    country.”
    --- Hermann Goering, Hitler’s Reich Marshall, at the Nuremberg
    Trials after World War II.

19. NP3 macrumors regular

According to your logic it doesn't matter, as neither can be held responsible :p.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Everything aside - he did some spiffing paintings.

WW2 had a huge impact on my life. My grandfather is Polish and was a German POW (luckily he was Catholic), escaped and fled to England. A few of my relatives out there died. My other grandfather was one of the first into Nagasaki (or Hiroshima, I forget which) and died from after effects of that. So I'm not some Hitler apologist. He just did some good paintings is all.

21. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Even the most horrible people can have talent.

I much prefer Winston Churchill's style myself, but meh..

22. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Sorry, his artistic talents do not negate the horrific acts which he is responsible for.

23. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Oh yeah, this is on the fast track to PRSI.

Anyways, his paintings and art are very nice. I like them a lot, and frankly, if the price were right, I would but those paintings, even if I knew Hitler painted them. To me it shows are part in his life before the hatred took him over. He used to be a very happy man. When his mother died, he blamed her Jewish doctor for her death, hence the...well you know.

Its interesting to see such a brilliant (and I mean that. If the man had set his talents and way with words towards a goal for good, he could have made a real positive change in the world) man make such a terrible, horrible, and revolting decision, resulting in millions of deaths. *shakes head*

24. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I never suggested his paintings in any way, shape or form make his actions any less disgusting. I'm simply making the statement that even bad people are good at something.

25. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I was making my comment entirely in general, not in anyone's direction within this thread.

And I agree. Even the worst of the worst usually have something good somewhere. A broken watch is right twice a day.