Not buying the girl scout cookies makes one look cheap?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by coolwater, Feb 23, 2010.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I never buy anything from people come up to my door, but it's really hard to say no to kids selling girls scout cookies.

2. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Just tell them it's against your religion to buy something from kids.

3. iOrlando macrumors 68000

this might seem sort of obivious, but

can you not answer the door?

I never answer the door for anyone unless I know them. No point in coming to my dwelling for any other reason.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Ask them if they are made with real girl scouts :).

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do you also tell people you can't answer the door because your mom is in the shower? :p

These kids don't come to my door. I have bought them from the market. Each year I get a box of thin mints and a box of those coconut carmel delightful yummies. To me those are the only two worth buying as the shortbreads can be had from Walker's at the same premium.

As a former girl scout I can't really say one way or another if I was offended when people didn't buy them. I wanted that cheap ass prize they offered for selling the most and my parents were always there to help me get it.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Just say "sorry, I wouldn't be interested" and start closing the door
    Those horrible pangs of guilt will only last a few days

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Little girls knocking on my door. Who wouldn't want that. :eek:

Refusing to buy Girl Scout cookies in un-American. Just sayin'.

9. ILikeTurtles macrumors 6502

I can ignore them when they come to my door, just as I do with the proselytizers; however, when they stake-out the entrance to my local grocery store and Target, it becomes a big annoyance!

I can't recall the exact amount, but the money that actually goes to the Girl Scouts from one box of cookies sold is shamefully minuscule.

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

But the pangs of rejection will haunt those girls for life. ;)

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

12. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

The temptation is tough because I'm with Jessica on this one, the Thin Mints and Samoa's are awesome.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I just kindly say no thank you and walk away as fast as I can before I change my mind. :p

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It will be good practice for them ;)

14. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

What if the girl says she's out of Thin Mints and Samoas, and all she has left are the ones you don't like? :p

15. jesses macrumors regular

jesses

Turn on the sprinklers when they approach your yard.

16. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

I think I have seen that video. Just that the girl scouts were around 25... :p

17. iOrlando macrumors 68000

nothing good comes from strangers knocking on your door. think about it.

18. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Here in Canada a box of Girl Scout cookies costs $4. Of that, I assume a fair chunk has to go toward paying for the cookies themselves, and a chunk to subsidize the cost of the prizes the kids are going for as motivation to sell the cookies. I don't have any figures, but I would hope that the Scouting organization itself would get at least 25% to 40%. I'd be interested to see if anyone has actual numbers.

While I'm not involved in scouting, I do volunteer for a charity that does fundraisers and I have come across ads for various companies that sell "fundraising cookies", and they always promise about 50% profit (e.g. they'll sell you the box for $2, you sell it for $4).

As for saying no or looking cheap, just be polite and say no thanks. Not a big deal. Having said that, I can never manage to... I like those cookies :D

19. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Link, please? :eek: :D

20. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Better to buy a Girl Scout cookie than eat a Brownie (ducks for cover) :eek:

21. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I run a shop and when they offer me something to buy I always explain that I have an agreement with my wife that she buys those things at our private adress. My wife at home on the other hand ...

22. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I don't see the need to lie or get people's hopes up. If you're not interested, just say so. No shame in that, and it doesn't make you look "rude" or "cheap".

Generally speaking, if the organization finds that people just aren't interested in whatever product or fundraising technique they are using, they will figure it out and try something else. Girl Scout cookies are an example of something that's so popular that they're probably not going away anytime soon, but you might as well be honest if you're truly not interested.

Edit: OK, sorry, there was a tiny tinge of resentment in this post. As I said earlier, I do volunteer work (not with Scouts though) and that does include fundraising. Sometimes I get the run-around from my friends when I have to "hit them up". They don't want to say no to a friend, so they'll say things like, "Well, er... I need to ask my wife first, and then we'll get back to you" or "Not this time, but ask me again next year!" This is more aggravating to me than if they simply said "Sorry, no, I'm not interested" -- I won't be offended, honest! -- and at least with the latter response I can report back to our board of directors and say "Hey, nobody I asked was interested in this type of event, maybe we need to think of alternatives".

23. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I'm proud to be un-American then.;) I usually ask the girls if they're being fairly compensated for their time and effort in pushing over priced cookies. The usual answer is they get nothing!:mad:
    A bunch of rich bastards exploiting our youths.:mad: Fye on it, ah fye!, I say. I refuse to buy Girl Scout Cookies. I slip them a buck. I make sure they understand that buck is for THEM not their greedy taskmasters.

24. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Why would you feel guilty for not wanting something that is gross? That's like feeling guilty for not raiding the candy aisle at the convenience store every time you fill up your gas tank, or feeling guilty for not stopping at the drive thru despite those nice people's hard work in making it so convenient.

25. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Order one of these lovely T-shirts...I'm pretty sure the girls won't be back next year:

Attached Files: