Not counting this thread...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Unspeaked, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

...which doesn't include her name in the subject (and I think there are several others like this), there are currently 14 threads on Page 1 of the Politics, Religion, Social Issues sub forum with the word "Palin" in the subject.

Does anyone else find this disturbing?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no. same would've happen to any other VP that was virtually unknown, be it democrat or republican. the only reason you don't see the same for biden is because hes already well known.

3. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I don't entirely agree with that.

I mean, it's been some time now and there's still new threads popping up constantly.

And usually not nearly so much attention is paid to a VP pick, known or unknown.

We're only making this more a celebrality contest and less a political debate.

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Because we keep learning new horrible things about her constantly.

5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

It's disturbing since the focus should be on McCain and Obama. If the #2 spot could sink the ticket Bush would have never been elected. Cheney is a scary, scary man.

6. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Of course, but that's true for anything, or else we'd only have static threads and no new posts ever :p

What I'm saying is, do we really need (and this is just off Page 1):

Sarah Palin doesn't know what Bush Doctrine Is

Sarah Palin: US Waging War on Russia May Be Necessary

Its in, Fox, AP, MSNBC, McCain confirms picking of Sarah Palin as VP

Sarah on Iraq: A Task Form God

Palin shows "experience" by calling Freddie & Fannie "too expensive to the taxpayers"

Moderate and Liberal women, how important is Sarah Palin?

Did Sarah Palin's city bill rape victims for processing rape kits?

Palin's church promotes prayer to make gays straight

"Lipstick on a pig..." - Big deal or not?

Palin's office decor

Palin for President

Palin's latest problem: Carpe per diem

Bristol Palin's parents vs. Jaime Spears': an IOIYAR moment

Reporters trying to hurt Palin, poll shows

Here's the story about Palin's book-banning try as mayor

(I admit - I started one of those!)

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I think her spot as VP is pretty important this time around simply because of McCains age/past health issues. There wasn't any belief that Bush could have died while serving out his term(s), so although Cheney is a scary guy, nobody thought he would ever have control of the presidency (but he did anyway). I remember seeing in another thread/other website that McCain has a 33% chance of not making it his 4 full years. It's bad enough that McCain could be president, but it's even scarier that Palin has a 1/3 chance of being president.

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The 1-in-3 thing actually has to do with his chances of reaching 80. Presumably if he makes it to 76 we'll all reassess his chances at that point. Even so, I've seen 14 percent bandied about as his chances for dying before the end of his first term.

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

The focus on Palin should be in regards to McCain's judgement in putting her in such a position where she's second in command, attacking her directly only takes the focus off of McCain and if any attack is perceived as sexist it can backfire in a big way.

Country first? The VP pick is an obvious ploy to win the election rather than who is most qualified to run the country. This is their first big test of judgement since they get to make the decision on who is going to be #2 without having to ask any voters. Their picks do say a lot about where their priorities lie.

10. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Isn't the focus on poor judgment, though? By showing how stupid and unprepared she is, it reflects poorly on McCain. At least that's what I'm getting out of all of these threads/news.

11. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Here, sure, our debate on Palin is not quite as disturbing, it's the media, and campaign's focus on her that I find most bothersome.

Most of the arguments here tend to head down the path of it reflecting badly on McCain's judgement, but let's face it, these forums are mostly and echo chamber and while we're not likely to change anyone's minds, we don't see a lot of people here we think need their mind changed.

The focus on her in the media is probably more disturbing since questions on McCain's judgement aren't raised and when it comes down to election day people may very well look a the ballot and see the "inexperienced, elitist" versus the "experienced, veteran, POW" and think, "gee, I haven't heard much bad about McCain, sure his VP choice might not be the best, but what damage can the VP do?"

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Well in that case I'd have to agree with you. I don't think I've seen any serious questions about judgment raised by the MSM.

13. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Some of these possibly could have been combined, but the information, and discussion is very important. When John Dean says that Palin does not meet the qualifications of VP, people should take notice.

Palin is not some poor soul who needs to be treated gently. She deserves the closest scrutiny we can give her. Her problem is she was not properly vetted by the RNC, or McCain. I still do not think Palin's selection was really made by McCain. Palin was brought in to shore up the ranks of the conservatives. She certainly has done that. But, the Country is suffering with the possibility of having a completely unfit for VP. Considering McCain's age and health, we cannot afford this to happen.

So, if it takes us 100 threads to discuss the matter, so be it.

14. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i personally find disturbing that people buy into her and the horrifying ideas she represents.

the focus should be on her, because if the Palin-ThatOtherGuy ticket win, it will because of her and the ultraright. she knows it and he knows it, so he will be hostage of their hideous policies (even assuming that he complete the term).

15. jplan2008 macrumors regular

It's impossible to attack MCain on his choice of Sarah Palin without first attacking her lack of experience and knowledge, her record, and her stand on the issues. A lot of this is just coming out, especially with the first national interview just coming out. McCain's campaign was focused on Obama's lack of experience, Obama did a great job I thought of setting the stage to confront that issue and make it experience AND judgment, then the next day McCain announced Palin. So he not only backed off the experience issue a bit, but he also showed outrageously poor judgment and exactly his shoot-from-the-hip approach in selecting her. But if Obama had said immediately that Palin was a great example of poor judgment, he would have been accused of sexism, and the charge probably would have sticked. I do think that the Palin pick has thrown the Obama campaign off, but hopefully he'll get back on track. Unfortunately, Palin is attracting nearly the same attention for her speeches as Obama (and more than McCain, it seems). I think she will be hard to ignore, since she does have the attention of the media.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs