Not eligible for upgrade, but wife is...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hottoq, Sep 13, 2012.

1. hottoq macrumors newbie

I'm not eligible for an upgrade until next year, but my wife's eligible and willing to trade phones with me. Is this possible and, if so, how would I go about doing this?

I'm assuming I can order the phone under her name, then just swap the SIM cards? How do I get a new SIM card, just ask for one at AT&T?

Thanks!

2. SonoViva macrumors 6502

SonoViva

I've heard varying things about this. You can definitely order it under her line and switch when it gets there. I have heard that you can just call AT&T and have them switch the IMEI and when you activate it, it will have automatically switched to your line. I have also heard that you have to go into an AT&T store and have them do it. BOTH of these options would be before activating the phone. I'm in the same boat as you, and am just going to go to an AT&T store to be on the safe side.

3. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Upgrade and then go to the AT&T store to do the sim swap.

4. pugnut macrumors 6502a

I have done this multiple times and it is not that complicated. When you get the phone you have to call and they will do the switch for you. Also you can go into the store and ask for a microsim with your number and install.

Not that complicated.

5. stringerhye macrumors regular

stringerhye

Do you know if you have to have both phones present to do this? My dad on my our family plan is eligible for an upgrade, but unfortunately this weekend I'll be moving to NYC and won't be able to have both phones present.

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I've done it multiple times (over the phone with AT&T) and have never had the other phone present.

7. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I am in the same scenario and will handle like this:

1. Pre-order using wife's upgrade (line)
    2. Activate it when it arrives on Friday
    3. Immediately log into Verizon.com and swap the phone over to my line (this is extremely easy to do on their site)
    4. Both of us will enjoy "new" phones

8. stringerhye macrumors regular

stringerhye

Do you activate it first? Do I need the IMEI from the other phone?

9. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Yes, you need to activate the new iPhone OTA first. Then you use the IMEI to swap what line it sits on.

10. stringerhye macrumors regular

stringerhye

Which IMEI do I need?

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

The IMEI of the new phone.

12. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I should clarify by saying that on Verizon.com you can simply swap phones between lines without ever entering or knowing an IMEI (thus activating the new iPhone OTA first). AT&T may have a similar setup.

If you call your carrier they may be able to swap without you knowing the IMEI. Any info you will need will be on the box of the new unit or in Settings.

13. SonoViva macrumors 6502

SonoViva

I thought that you needed to call AT&T prior to activating. I was under the impression that the SIM ships blank and is "stamped" with the number through activation. Ergo, you call AT&T before activating to switch the IMEI then activate and it will be your line, your SIM. Correct?

14. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

My understanding is that the IMEI is actually mapped to the number (line) for which it was pre-ordered. This is great for customers because there is no calling anyone to activate the phone when it arrives. The iOS setup simply activates it on the network for you since the IMEI is registered.

For those of us swapping phones, it can complicate things a bit. This is why I have always just activated it and quickly swapped it on through the website. You may be able to swap prior to activation, but I've never tried.

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

This is exactly how you do it.

1. Preorder the phone, from Apple or AT&T online, using your WIFE's phone number. When prompted, use the last 4 digits of primary account holder's SS#.

2. Wait for phone delivery. And wait.

3. When you get the phone, do not activate it/sync it/fondle it. Ok, you can fondle it. Go to an AT&T store (not a 3rd party store) or call AT&T and tell them you want to CROSS UPGRADE your new phone to YOUR phone. They will ask you for the IMEI number (over the phone, or read it in person). They will swap the IMEI numbers in their system. Then switch YOUR SIM into the new phone. Turn on and activate as normal.

Easy peasy.

16. NYY FaN, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

the process is completely different for verizon and AT&T. you're talking about verizon and the OP is talking about AT&T.

for AT&T you need to call them before turning on the phone and activating it - once the phone is activated, the sim is tied to a specific line and can't be changed. You need to be especially careful since this iphone has a nano sim, so you can't just swap in your 4/4S sim.

We use verizon at my job, and we can do ESN/IMEI swaps by calling up verizon at anytime (before or after activation). Never dealt with a 4G LTE verizon phone, which requires a sim so I don't know how that plays into all of this.

17. dokujaryu macrumors 6502

dokujaryu

^ You have to go to the store. The SIMs are used and therefore "burned" and cannot be changed or reused. This is to prevent some kind of fraud they wouldn't explain to me how to do.

[​IMG]

18. iZeeshan macrumors regular

But what if the two lines are in separate states?

Basically I'm in Georgia and my dad is in New Jersey. He's the one that has the upgrade and is letting me use it.

So the day I get the iPhone, can I call AT&T to switch the two phones' numbers or go into a store and have it done?

I have AT&T btw.

19. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

The new sim is smaller than the 4S sim. So what happens to the sim in the phone you swap, does it become dead?

edit/add nvm, answered above.

20. esploded, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

esploded macrumors regular

All right, to be clear, I want to add a line to my family plan tonight at the preorder, so I can get the subsidized price.

I use google voice, so the actual phone number isn't important to me.

BUT I want to keep my 2GB Data plan without upgrading to the $30 one.

How do I swap phones without purchasing a data plan on the new line?
    Furthermore, do I have to go to the AT&T store like some others are saying for the Nano Sim?

Also, I can't see an option to add a line to my family plan for some reason on AT&T. All the lines are $40+, and I only have three lines on the family plan.