Not enough ram

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sundar83, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Sundar83 macrumors member

Here is the screenshot of my free memory its struck i used lots of cydia tweaks and appns ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342593950.887078.jpg

2. Sundar83 thread starter macrumors member

after restart the mobile getting 233mb ram memory only

3. technowar macrumors 6502

SBSettings takes so much ram off your iPhone. That 70mb left on your ram is normal.

4. cynics macrumors G3

There is an app called free memory you can use if your not jail broken. I've see it say way less then that on my 4S. It's just the nature of how a mobile OS works. RAM is used up and as new task need RAM old task are killed.

I'll post a screen shot up once I have a lot of things running today.

5. Sundar83 thread starter macrumors member

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You don't want to have free RAM.

The fact that it's all being used is a good thing. It's how it's supposed to work.

7. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Is NCsettings a resource hog the way SBsettings is?

8. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Yep, it is so awesome that I get restarts about 3 times a week. Can be doing anything and then screen goes black and a complete restart. Only happens when my ram gets below 40mb. I still can't believe they only put 512mb of ram in the 4s and ipad2. Min should have been 1gb.

On my S3, I simply forget about it. I almost always have more than 1gb free. Apps never fc.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

None of my iPhones have ever done that and I've always had the same amount of RAM (or less, in the past).

There's clearly something wrong with your phone. I'm curious why you've decided to blame the RAM instead of taking it in to get fixed or replaced. That doesn't sound pleasant.

I'm not an Android programmer, so I can't say for sure, but I have a hard time believing that. Why would Google do that? Wouldn't they try to make the user experience as good as possible? You're saying that's not what they're designing for?

Again, I just find it hard to believe that Google would intentionally make a mistake like that.

10. donrsd macrumors 6502

donrsd

:apple: does it on purpose so you will upgrade to the next device.
    throw all of your eggs into the latest device = future devices wont sell as good as there is not enough reason to upgrade.

11. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Nothing wrong with my ipad2. It's jailbroken, always has been, and at some point below 40mb of free ram, it goes into a safe mode and triggers a restart. When it comes back on I have 302mb of free ram, which quickly dwindles.

It's no mistake. When you have 2gb of RAM on the Galaxy S3, it takes a lot to use it all up. I multitask the crap out of that phone and it just keeps plugging along.

----------

I know that many phandroids say this (not saying you are one), but there is truth to it. I have been buying Apple products since my first ipod. The ipad 3 was the first new mobile iDevice i haven't bought. Always buy the new product to get the new features.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's not a matter of simultaneous use, it's a matter of on-going time.

According to you, your Galaxy is force-quitting apps for no reason. I find that hard to believe. Why would it do that? Is it just to save battery? I don't know. It seems weird to me.

13. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I know that many phandroids say this (not saying you are one), but there is truth to it. I have been buying Apple products since my first ipod. The ipad 3 was the first new mobile iDevice i haven't bought. Always buy the new product to get the new features.

14. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

It's almost like some people expect Apple to put in extra memory to support jailbreaking their phones... Not sure why they'd bother to go to that extra expense.

Do people with stock iPhones have the same "lack of memory" issues?

Clint

15. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

You are misunderstanding. My ipad2 is the one having issues with low ram resets.
    My S3 has no issues at all with RAM.

----------

The ipad2 should have come with 1gb of ram. It's not like space is an issue compared to a phone and we already knew, apps made specific for the ipad would be more resource hogs. Apple was being cheap in this particular instance.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You said the S3 has 2 GB of RAM but usually has 1 GB free, right?

That's an issue.

17. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Apple sold what, 50 million iPads each year? Assuming (always dangerous) that doubling the RAM would have only cost them $1/unit, why would they give up $50 million in revenue for something that they don't support anyway. They never promised that jail-broken iPad's would work for any given purpose. In fact, they are pretty publicly against jail breaking.

Sorry, but if you want to customize the heck out of your toys, Android is more likely your cup of tea.

Just my $0.02. I fully respect your right to do whatever the heck you like with your devices. But for the majority of iPad users, it's not an issue.

Clint

18. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

And my iMac has 16gb of RAM and usually has 4gb or so free. My ipad has a measily 512mb of RAM and usually has about 40-80mb free. My ipad is the only onehaving issues. Do you see a trend here?

By the way, it is better to have available free ram for apps, especially for multitasking.

I'm more curious why you believe having RAM available is an issue? :confused:

----------

Lack of RAM on the ipad2 is a known issue. You simply can not keep apps open and running, regardless if you are jailbroken or not. And fyi, jailbreaking does not alter the iPads core system of monitoring and optimizing ram.

19. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

When you have the option of having an extra gig of RAM I'm sure you'd take advantage too son.

Currently have used up 1.14 GB of my 2 GB RAM on my S3.

Got Tapatalk, Skype in the background with like 5 conversations going on, Chrome with 8 tabs open, 5 to 8 other apps while watching the latest R6 release of Battleship I just downloaded via uTorrent all on my phone (no pc/Mac needed) over everything I'm doing smoothly without any lag or programs closing. You can never have too much RAM. Starting to just leave the iPad at home now.

Life is good at the office on a slow Wednesday.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III with Tapatalk 2

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Because the only way the RAM got free was because the OS pushed something out of it.

If my RAM is full and I open something new, the OS should push the oldest thing out to make room for it. You are claiming that your Galaxy is clearing out space in the RAM before you need it. It's just making space for no reason. Just whenever it wants...it shuts something in the background down for no real reason.

This is the same as a restaurant kicking out people when they're done eating when there are no new customers coming in. Maybe they would have bought dessert, but we'll never know now.

Why would it do that? Why should it not let those background tasks run? Why do you think that's a good thing?

What?

I'm talking about how the Galaxy S3 works. I have nothing to do with how it's built.

21. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

i think you misunderstand. There is a lostin translation issue.

When I use my S3 and turn it on, a portion of my ram is used. As I open apps, ram gets used more. I tend to manually exit apps likegps navigation or Pandora when I am done using them, clearing the RAM. I rarely have more than 7 or 8 tasks/apps running. This is why I have free ram available. Plus, no other phone has had 2gb of RAM before. It is quite awesome being able to do somuch multitasking,studder free and no need to reload web pages or games.

I hope that cleared up what I was trying to say?

22. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

You made it sound like it's a problem that people use over 1gig of RAM on the phone when it isn't.

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You have to stop monitoring the ram and just use the phone. It's more than enough to keep it running smoothly. Additionally, the fact that you jailbreak your phone doesn't make it quicker.

24. cynics macrumors G3

A lot of BS in this thread. iOS will use all the RAM it can then push stuff out. You'll never have much over 10 mb of ram free when using the phone. If you are not using all the ram then why have it?

Here's proof

[​IMG]

I've ALWAYS found ios better at keeping this cached in a suspended state then Android. I find it depends more on the app then anything else.

25. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, so YOU are doing it.

I could think of no reason why Google would make it do that. If you're choosing to do it, ok, you can do what you want. My confusion was over what I thought was an automated processes. Since that's not the case it all makes sense again.

Personally, I don't think there's any reason for you to do that, but I'm not one to tell others what to do. I'm just saying I wouldn't bother.

To the contrary, I honestly think he should be using all 2.