Not gay enough to play, oh get real

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011657770_lawsuit21m.html

Can't go both ways apparently. What is this? A religion? Though shall only sucketh the ....., no I am not going there... but you get point. A bunch of over zealous aholes decided they didn't like the competition because they didn't pass their standards.

I remember not black enough... not you can be insufficiently gay, I wonder if they can park in the special spaces because of this disability.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

While I don't think it's right, if the Boy Scouts can kick gays out, these people can do what they want too. Unless they're taking public money, they're free to do what they want. We can say it's stupid, not right, etc., which it is, but ultimately these guys will lose this suit.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is this the part where you expect all the liberals to defend this behavior, so that you can dance around with a pitchfork, singing songs about the revolution? :p

Bisexual men really don't get a lot of support or acceptance here in the USA... it seems like they have a good prima facie case, I will be curious to see how it goes for them.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think you know the answer to that.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

If I wrote "Is this the part where you expect all the conservatives to defend this behavior..." on all the BS threads here I'd have carpal tunnel.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Is it a private organization not making use of public funds or getting special deals on use of public property? Check.

Then I won't tell them who can and who can't be in their little club. It's that simple.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Shivy's just looking for attention.

If anything, it shows that being branded gay is no longer seen as a bad thing. Are the Gay Games relevant in this day and age? Maybe not, but if they're going to be held, then the participants should be gay.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Problem is- they come in and defend it.

What a silly notion. ;) BTW- This is not the Gay Games. It's some baseball club.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I think it's fair to say it could go either way.

11. Queso macrumors G4

Maybe they were worried the bi-s would bat for both teams.

12. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Your response (good one!) made these lyrics come to mind:

Ever seen a laddie dance this way and that?
    Cuz his dance is her dance and her dance is his dance,
    Ever seen a laddie dance quite like that?

Now the fundamentalists will ban this song.

13. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

Or better yet, they should be happy because most teams would love a switch hitter. ;)

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

But you can't be a pitcher and a catcher at the same time, you have to choose one or the other ;)

Looks like the Official MR Pun Brigade has arrived.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh yes, you can. I can refer you to video evidence. ;)

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nah, that's OK ;)

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Let's put it this way- it just requires more than two guys. ;)

18. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Good rhythm and synchronization is important for success.
    :)

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's true. Uh-oh, this is a "family" website. :)

20. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Oh! I thought we were talking about baseball.
    Otherwise I wouldn't know what you were talking about… [​IMG]

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well we were definitely talking about bats and balls. ;)

22. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Puns aside, the difference is that the Boy Scouts were demonized for their actions.

The disconnect here is that when actions such as these are publicized, it has the potential to set the gay rights movement back instead of pushing it forward. The message being sent here is one of "we want access to what we see as your space, but reserve the right to exclude you from ours". It would stand to reason that a group that wants tolerance and acceptance would be more willing to practice it themselves, not less willing.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Who said this baseball organization shouldn't be ashamed of themselves? I certainly think they're wrong and have said so. But, like the Boy Scouts (who have made use of public funds, but still claim to be a private organization, and still get away with their crap), this is a private organization. They can do what they like. I don't like it, and I'll say so. My issue with the Boy Scouts is not that they can't refuse membership to certain people, but that they are doing it with public money. There is no public funding involved here. These guys don't have a leg to stand on.

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am not surprised by the lack of being being vocal about it.

The conservatives is going is more or less not saying much because they are not wanting to slammed for being hypocrites plus it does not effect anything they are part of or would have any interested in being part of. I think the 2nd one is the larger reason why they are not saying anything.

The liberal side I am not surprised they are not speaking out because it is a more liberal group doing it and you do not tend to bash a group you are closer too.

I think it is very sad and disturbing that this group is doing it and honestly I think they should be publicly put the fire so to speak. They are doing exactly what homosexuals complained about having done to them. I honestly would say let any one who wants to join in because lets face it very few straight people would have any interested in playing and those who would more than likely have friends on the team.

Either way this does a lot of harm to the gay movement.

25. Shivetya thread starter macrumors 65816

Here is the complaint as filed in Court

http://www.publicola.net/wp-content...plaint-and-Jury-Demand-Apilado-v.-NAGAAA1.pdf

Then it gets interesting, the white guy who answered the same as the black guy was determined to be gay enough; yeah they asked at least four men the same question. So I guess you cannot be black and be gay in this league. Yeah, looks like NAGAAA stepped into it.

The basis of the suit is the game was played in an area with more strict discrimination laws which cover orientation. All this over a trophy. I do think its cool who is defending the guys,