Not good. “Hey Siri” turned on to my son’s voice.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dsr2, Jun 20, 2018.

1. dsr2 macrumors regular

dsr2

I was curious if the new “Hey Siri” feature worked with anyone’s voice (which, for privacy sake I hope it didn’t). Not good. Had my son say “Hey Siri” and it immediately woke up and answered. Needless to say I immediately shut “Hey Siri” off on my watch.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

It should just work with your own voice but I've had it where saying it set off my housemate's phone instead. It's not perfect I'm afraid.

3. nokkynuk macrumors member

nokkynuk

"Hey Siri" has not turned on (my iPhone X, iPhone 7 plus, and Apple Watch Series 3 LTE) from someone other than my voice.

4. Painter2002 macrumors 65816

Painter2002

I have occasionally accidentally called my girlfriends iPhone Siri by saying "Hey Siri", and we don't have that similar of voices, lol. So it is possible, even though it isn't supposed to happen.

5. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

Either Siri messed up or your son’s voice went through puberty overnight.

6. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

7. CobraPA, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018

CobraPA macrumors 6502a

Apple seems to be continuing work to make Siri only recognize the primary phone/Watch user. It is their stated goal, however, making it 100% reliable is a challenging problem.

You can read quite a bit of detail here: https://machinelearning.apple.com/2018/04/16/personalized-hey-siri.html . (And more in the linked papers.)

There have been previous reports of phones recognizing ‘Hey, Siri’ from family members and siblings. It sounds like the closeness of the voices makes detection of the primary owner more challenging.

Another interesting detail I read somewhere... ‘Hey, Siri’ detection is relaxed if you say it twice. Meaning that in cases where you say ‘Hay, Siri’, but it does not wake up, there is a short period afterwards where repeating ‘Hey, Siri’ will be detected more easily. This may make it easier for a third party to wake the phone as well.

8. dsr2 thread starter macrumors regular

dsr2

Thanks for the replies. I just find it interesting and was wondering if it was Apple’s intention to have the watch respond to any voice. As a general rule, I don’t use Siri with my voice (and wouldn’t on my watch) but rather, I always press the knob on my AW when I do use it.

9. danmart macrumors 6502a

danmart

The watch responds to any voice, but only whilst you are looking at the screen. That is by design.

Maybe future versions will be able to recognise a specific voice.