Not happy with Iowa? Try next door (WI)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Hail Scott Walker, the new Republican Governor of Wisconsin. The state is facing serious budget deficits, so now is the time to take drastic, almost punitive action. For example,

Privatize Power Plants

This is what we call short-term gains in order to increase expenses down the road (profit-making enterprises almost always charge more for a service than a public agency).

Governor Wants Direct Control of Regulatory Agencies

This cannot be good. Of course, the people elected him, fair and square, so of course he can be trusted not to allow any kind of graft, kick-backs or cronyism. Republicans are well known for their scrupulous and diligent honesty.

Bust All Public Unions

This story mentions that he has the National Guard ready to come in and scab in case the prison guards threaten to strike. Public employees, apparently, are not humans earning their wages but leeches sucking on the state's gravy train (well, not quite all of them).

Cut Back on Reproductive Services

Because, umm, no, there is no practical justification for this. It is nothing but short-sighted and callous.

But the sacred cow must not be touched, since "raising taxes hurts the economy". I have heard this assertion. Sounds reasonable. Can anyone point me to the solid evidence to support that claim?

I am reminded me of a book. Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine describes how crises are used to reverse the progress made toward a decent, egalitarian state. The governor does not want the people who have actual money to contribute to the well-being of his state, it looks more like he wants to balance the budget on the backs of people who do work and people who have nothing to begin with.

This makes Iowa look like a bunch of rank amateurs. Wisconsin will be decades trying to recover from this man's attack on the state.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

In Ohio, which just elected Republican Wall Street millionaire John Kasich governor, we believe that misery loves company.

And speaking of privatization...

Can't see how anything could possibly go wrong there. :rolleyes:

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bad ideas. BTW- has the governor said he'll take a pay cut too? I bet not.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The Republicans have no ideas, they just keep retreading the same FAIL. Take Mitch Daniels, a darling of the Reps who seem to have forgotten he ran the OMB under Bush 41. :rolleyes:

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's funny how things are playing out in different states.

Instead of grandstanding Jerry Brown has been very frugal with the California's money. He recently flew coach on SouthWest Airlines from Sacramento to Burbank. Not only that, but there was no security with him. It's a welcome change after Arnie's commuting by private plane virtually every night from Sacrament to his home in southern California.
    Brown has taken major steps at cutting waste but he also knows that cutting waste alone isn't going to solve our problems. Raising taxes, even if only temporarily, is part of the equation.

Brown's lifelong experience in government also makes him the ideal candidate for governor at this point in time. At 72, he's too old to aspire to the presidency but has the chance to make a huge impact on California's future.

I wonder which states are going to be in the best shape 5 years from now. Something tells me that IA, WI and OH won't be at the top of the list.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Honestly-I don't know what the hell is going on in Wisconsin. That state is normally fairly liberal. The other two just plain suck. But let's hope Wisconsin comes back to it's senses.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my gf who is from WI is just amazed that Walker got elected and she is fuming over his proposed changes. they're going to just doom the state. its going to be a huge mess there if any of those things go through.

meanwhile here in IL i heard that they want to raise the minimum wage, which is definitely needed, considering the cost of living in chicago.
    http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/3777454-418/senator-proposes-10-an-hour-base-wage.html