Not happy with iPhone? Here's a way to get out of your contract w/ no ETF

justanothernerd

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
So I was reading the Terms & Conditions from AT&T's website, and I came across this little gem:

If you are on a data plan that does not include a monthly megabyte allowance and additional data usage rates, the parties agree that AT&T has the right to impose additional charges if you use more than 5 gigabytes in a month. Prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your service.
Under data plans: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp

If I'm reading this correctly (which I think I am), it's basically saying that if you go over 5gb, AT&T will call you and be upset with you as you're using too many tubes, but they'll allow you to cancel your contract before charging you any overages. I'm guess it's a loophole they have to keep in place as they are advertising "unlimited" data, which is really 5gb..

So, someone who's desperate enough to get off the iPhone bandwagon, use around 167 mb of data per day for 30 days straight and let us know if you can get out ETF free.

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
ajrandall's right. If AT&T determines you are using too much data they can call you and will cancel your data, charge you more, etc etc or what have you but you have the option to cancel and not pay an early termination fee.

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
its practically impossible to use that much data unless you are tethering. Ive heard the easier way to do it is to tell them you are moving out of the country. thats what I might do.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68010
Aug 23, 2008
Things to do for today...

1. Pay bills.
2. Surf as much as possible to accumulate 5gb of monthly traffic.