"Not in Notification Center"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Small White Car, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, so you know how you can turn off notifications for certain apps?

What the heck is the point of that if Apps can still send you notifications? I've been getting buzzed out the yin yang all week from crappy games "notifying" me that I haven't played them in awhile.

And yes, they're all "off" in notification settings.

What a pointless setting. So apparently it's just a way for me to tell programs what I'd prefer...but they're free to ignore it.

What's the point?

(And yes, I've been un-installing the apps that do it. I'm about to go start leaving 1 star reviews too.)

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

You gotta actually click the app in the Notification settings, turn Alert style to "None", badge app icon to Off, turn Sounds off, and View in lockscreen to off.

What you're doing is just hiding them from Notification Center, not actually turnings the notifications completely off.

3. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Well you can be notified but have it not show up in notification center apparently. A lot of apps ask if you want them to send push notifications when you use them for the first time, so try reinstalling them. Also, you can turn off notifications within some of the apps.

4. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

Thanks, this is helpful but I maintain that Apple does not described it clearly at all.

I'd always assumed that when I see notifications they are part of the notification system...apparently not. Seeing the notification and having it stored are apparently two completely different things. I think that's needlessly confusing.

(Not only confusing, but annoying too. Now, instead of one switch per app I have multiple taps per app to turn them all off. Going down a long list turning off multiple things sure isn't fun. I wish the "off" switch actually meant off!)

Thanks, though. Big help.

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...and if they didn't have it that way, people would be complaining on how they want more control.

I agree, there should be a 'master switch' to simply kill everything, but, in the meantime, I like the flexibility and control the current option presents me.

6. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, they HAVE a master switch, they're just not using it as one. It says 'off' at the top of the screen.

They decided to make that a "don't show in notification center' button instead. They should create a "don't show in notification center" switch down below and then change off to REALLY mean off. When you switch it all the options below could grey out. That would give you total control, give me my off switch, and would be unmistakably clear.

7. Brunsworks macrumors newbie

Some apps seem to ignore the "In Notification Center" Settings as well, however. Other than reporting them to App Store management and badgering the publisher, is there anything else we can do?