Not jumping onboard quite yet...

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Marshall73, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Marshall73 macrumors 65832

Marshall73

So, I installed the GM candidate on my late 2016 MacBook Pro (w/460 4GB) and it seemed fine, nice and quick until I ran a couple of games. The performance has taken a hit, probably due to the games not supporting the newer Metal libraries but World of Warcraft took a straight 50% frame rate drop. So, back to Sierra I went. Seemed to take a lot longer than a normal restore due to faffing about with the drive to get it off of APFS but back on Sierra everything is flying again. Will def put High Sierra back on once WoW is updated etc.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yikes. Good to know. What other games? WoW uses Metal, so maybe it's only Metal games that are affected.

3. Marshall73 thread starter macrumors 65832

Marshall73

Diablo and heroes of the storm took a hit but not as big as WoW. Apparently wow crashes with High Sierra but I didn’t play it long enough for that to happen before I set about going back to Sierra. Forgot to backup my iMessage and had to restore it from Time machine.

Oh, word of warning, High Sierra uses a different database format for messages on the Mac so your High Sierra message database isn’t compatible with Sierra. Found that out the hard way. Only lost a couple of days of messages tho so no major issue.

4. recurrence, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

recurrence macrumors member

I Had to cut Diablo 3 settings down to 1440x900 and low graphics to get over 20 FPS on a 2016 MBP with Radeon 460.

Hope Blizzard is working on improving this 6 year old game's perf on High Sierra. :)

Update: after an update came in I’m getting great perf again.