Not my month for Apple products - iPhone 4 power button jammed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brown.eyed.girl, Dec 11, 2011.

1. brown.eyed.girl macrumors member

Hi all,

So my power button is jammed and the Genius at the Apple store told me that I'm basically SOL. They aren't authorized to take it apart (she thought the spring under the Power button had moved), I'm out of warranty, and my best bet is to replace the phone entirely. Great... (especially as I just replaced my computer).

My phone still works but I can't lock it - I just have to wait for it to auto-lock. I can't power it on or off.

Is there any fix for this, or a way to reroute the function of the Power button to my Home button? Am I up a creek without a paddle?

And since I seem to keep having to sell broken Apple stuff for parts, is there any market for an otherwise pristine 32 GB iPhone 4, used for 17 months with a broken Power button?

Sigh.

Thank you in advance for the help!

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

check out ebay, they have many parts for the iPhone 4. Lots of videos/instructions as well online.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Try another Genius. Worst-case, you shouldn't have to buy a new phone, since Apple offers an out of warranty service for the iPhone 4 for $149. Not free, but still less than buying a whole new iPhone outright.

4. cursedearth macrumors member

You can use the 'Accessibility' option and switch on "Assistive Touch". If you're fine with seeing a little white ball on your Home screen at all times then this should take care of of Lock/Unlock issue.

5. brown.eyed.girl thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys! That was just the advice I needed. I did enable Assistive Touch. It's a PITA having that white dot around but at least I can lock my phone. Thankfully it's still functional aside from the Power switch.

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

You could also try to find a place around you that fixes iPhones and see if they could fix the power button for you.

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If you can't find a local shop to fix it, here is a company that you can send the phone in to, repair cost $59.99 plus shipping. They did a screen replacement for me last year & did a great job:

http://www.ifixyouri.com/268-iphone-4-power-button-repair.html