Not possible to add a phone line to existing AT&T Account on Apple.com

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by USMCWifey07, Oct 5, 2011.

1. USMCWifey07 macrumors member

I was going to add a line to my AT&T account so I could preorder the iPhone 4s this Friday at the subsidized price. I just learned that in order to add a line to your account you would need to visit an Apple retail store! :eek:

Am I missing something or is there a better way to do this? I'm assuming that my next best option is to do this all on AT&Ts site? I'm assuming they allow you to add a line and preorder the new iPhone all online correct?

Thanks for the help :apple:

2. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

Read!

I am pretty sure that when you add to cart you can add the line. I can give you more information on Friday/Thursday at 11:59pm.

Thomas

3. iPhone3gPSU macrumors member

I was just going to post this EXACT SAME QUESTION - Just called Apple and, even though the representative sounded unsure, he did say that you can NOT add an additional line on Apple's website. I question that, though, because it sort of seemed like he couldn't find the information and just said that. He even admitted that I was the first person to ask.

Has anyone added an additional line during the preorder process in the past? Was there an option? Please let us know!! :confused::confused:

4. USMCWifey07 thread starter macrumors member

Yea I'm very confused on this subject as well...Certainly there should be SOMEONE out there who has done this in the past? :confused:

5. EvoNiner1986 macrumors regular

6. dave006 macrumors 68020

No, you can't currently use the Apple.com site to add-a-line to a FamilyTalk rate plan with AT&T using the Apple.com site. This was an issue last year during the pre-order panic. There are however options. Tell us more about what your specific situation is and there is an answer that should work. It will not be perfect but there are ways round most common issues.

For example: there is nothing that prevents you from ordering a new line of service with a standard voice / data plan and once it arrives you can merge this new account into your existing FamilyTalk plan.

Please note that you are not replacing an existing line in your current FamilyTalk plan using this example, you are still adding a line. If you want to replace an existing line within a FamilyTalk plan you may be subject to an ETF fee.

Dave

7. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

Does this go for verizon also? I have one phone on my account right now but will be adding a line while I preorder the 4s, so am I not able too do that?

8. USMCWifey07 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help...We will be adding a line to our current Family Talk plan. If I'm not mistaken, this can be done on the AT&T site correct? I called and asked a rep and they assured me it could be done on their site, but he did sound a little unsure :confused:

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Currently, when you buy an iPhone 4 or the 3Gs, there's an option to add a line to an existing account.

10. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

This is simalar to what the Apple Rep told me today. They said I can upgrade my one existing line and to add another line, I need to do separate order. I can not do both in the same order. I will then circle back with ATT and make it a family plan if I choose to go that route.

11. USMCWifey07 thread starter macrumors member

I saw that option as well and tested it out by pretending I was going to buy the iPhone 4. When you get further in the process though (after you select data plan and all) it tells you that you need to go to an apple store to complete the order.

I just want to make sure this can be done on the AT&T website. I know you can ADD a line on the AT&T website but will it let you preorder when you do this?

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yeah I think you can do it on AT&T because you would have to login with your current account anyway.

13. USMCWifey07 thread starter macrumors member

Sounds good, this is what I'll be doing then :)

Now if only AT&T could tell me a straight answer as to exactly what time the pre orders will go live I'd be all set!

The rep I spoke to earlier on the phone mentioned right after midnight it'd be available however I can't see it being midnight in my time zone...That would be 2 hours prior to when Apple itself opens their pre order gates up lol

14. beama macrumors member

I just got through chatting on-line with ATT with this exact question. She told me that since I want to pre-order and add a line (not use my upgrade), I should add the line first, than order the 4s for the new line which will be the same price as if I upgraded my 3g as it is a new phone. I also asked her if she had any idea when pre-order would start and she said she wasn't sure, but to try 11:50 or !2 on Thursday night!

15. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

It has to be around same time as Apple because Apple still has to verify the preorders with AT&T for the upgrade eligibility dates and such.

16. RBilRamZ macrumors member

Help me oh educated ones

I have an existing, ready for upgrade, ATT account with the grandfathered unlimited iPhone data plan. I plan on upgrading my phone to the 4GS, extending my contact 2 years without losing the unlimited plan.

I also want to add a line for my wife and buy her a 4GS. I know she can't have an unlimited plan like me, but that's fine.

Whats the best way to get this done? Ideally, I would order through Apple's website at 12:01am for home delivery.

All of your help is appreciated in advance.

17. dave006 macrumors 68020

If you want to order via Apple.com it is a very easy process. First upgrade your existing line in one transaction making sure to select your existing iPhone Unlimited Data plan. Complete all the steps. Now go back and order a new single line of service for your wife for a another iPhone 4S. For her line of service, just pick the lowest rate plan offered, a data plan and finally any SMS Txt plan.

Once you get both phones delivered to your home. Complete both activations and then call AT&T and have your wife's line merged into a FamilyTalk rate plan with your upgraded iPhone 4S. Very easy and worst case you end up spending an extra $18 since a new line of service is $36 vs and upgrade fee of $18.

This plan assumes that your wife does not currently have service with AT&T.

Dave