Not really sure what forum to put this in... (Slingbox and Apple TV)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BengalDuck, Jul 30, 2008.

1. BengalDuck macrumors regular

...but considering it does concern me purchasing a SlingBox and an AppleTV, I guess this one is suitable.

I have a Powerbook G4. Older one, the kind that takes 10 hours to Handbrake a movie from my HD.

I'm not sure what kind of SlingBox I need. I want access to my DVR as well as HD programming (from a Comcast set-top box) and all the channels, but then I'm not even sure if my Powerbook screen is "HD." Is it work shilling out extra money for an HD stream on a Powerbook? Will the clarity in the picture be better? Will there even be a picture?

What kind of accessories will I need with this slingbox? Can slingbox connect to my older Airport Extreme base station (the dome thingy) or do I need to buy another router? How best would you deal with the ports, as one of them is taken up by the modem and the other is connected to my xbox 360. Am I S.O.L.?

Additionally, I want to purchase an AppleTV. Probably 160 GB or whatever the most will be when I get around to buying in a month or two. Essentially, I want to spend money.

Can AppleTV hook up to the Slingbox? Are these devices even worth it on my now slower/outdated-kind-of mac?

Can someone who is far more helpful than I am in explaining my current situation help me plan my purchases and tell me what I'd need to have a great situation with streaming TV from home on my computer as well as streaming movies and music from my HD's back at home?

Please?

Thanks! :D

2. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I have no idea what Slingbox is, but a quick google search turned this up on their site:

As far as the other question are concerned, they can probably be answered with their site, too.

3. dbwie macrumors 6502

Slingbox Pro

You will want the slingbox pro, which has inputs for up to 4 devices, one of them could be an AppleTV. You need a router with at least one available wired ethernet port for the slingbox. Slingbox isn't wireless. Also, you will want a fast internet connection, with good upload speed, to send the signal over the internet.

I have an older G4 powerbook, and it sometimes has trouble playing video, even with 1 GB of RAM and a 7200 rpm hard drive. This is why I got an AppleTV in the first place, because rented movies from iTunes movie store would not play smoothly on my powerbook. the slingplayer software can apparently run on a G4 powerbook, but I don't know about how well it will work for watching video from slingplayer. If you want to spend money, why not get a new laptop as well? :)