Not sure I completely understand iTunes Match

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmack549, Dec 11, 2011.

1. jmack549 macrumors 6502

So I just signed up and it uploaded my collection.

First of all, matching is very spotty, but that's another thread for another day. My main concern is that I thought this allowed for streaming of songs. This doesn't seem to be the case, it appears that every time I play a song it downloads it, and I must delete it to clear up that room again.

This isn't ideal because I bought an 8 GB iPhone with the thought I could just stream all of my music, but if I'm constantly having to delete songs to listen to others this will be a huge pain. Can anyone tell me if I'm seeing the setup correctly?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's not meant for streaming. You can listen while it downloads but Apple has specifically gone out of their way to say it that it isn't streaming.

You're currently using it the way it's intended.

3. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

Gotcha, I guess I didn't look into it well enough.

4. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Yup you next choice is to use google music (it takes forever to upload ) and you can go to the website on your phone and listen to all those songs streaming to your device

5. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Here are some screenshots it works with screen lock and playlist

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And is free so you don't got nothing to loose (besides time maybe lol )

6. melman101 macrumors 68030

I actually love how iTunes match works. It matched about 5600 out of my 5700 songs. Very well. Also, I removed all my from my phone except my top rated playlist. Everything else now I just listen on demand and when it fills up I can delete again :). I like the way this works :). I only use space for songs that I actively listen to.

7. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I consider my phone storage to now be dynamic, thanks iTunes Match. I can now change what's on it, whenever I feel like it, even when I'm not home.

8. JCCL macrumors 6502a

I like it a lot, now I have my 21K songs available to me either on my iPhone 4S, my wife's 4S, my home laptop or in my work laptop. What is weird, is that you can stream on a computer, but not on the phones. On my work laptop I have no songs loaded, and all of them play directly from the cloud, and it doesn't store anything that I play unless I click on the download button, unlike the iPhones.

9. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Upload your library to Google Music and you can stream to your phone. It's free, 20,000+ song capacity.

10. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I'm coming around and learning to like it. Can you delete larger things at once, such as albums, instead of having to do it song by song?

I disagree on the matching. I pulled a song off of a mix CD I had to test it. The song is Roscoe Dash - Good Good Night. I labeled it as such and let iTunes Match do its thing. No match, even though I verified iTunes Store has it. No clue why.

11. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I dont care for it....having to manually go back in and delete songs that you download defeats the purpose, IMO. I only have 4k songs but all of them on my device puts it over the space limit. I deleted all of the songs that it matched and am downloading them all in 256kbps bit rate and will stop using the service after today.