Not sure I understand...

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by Dentifrice, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Dentifrice macrumors 6502

What is different between Files and let's say, Goodreader for example ?

I see you can manager all files from the same place but there are like 50 other apps that can do that ?

Two questions :

1- what are the advantages of Files over others ?

2- If you have a document in Files and you open it with other app, does it make a copy of the document in the other app like before or you can finally open documents without copying over and over the same file everywhere ? So a shared folder for every apps.
    If it's the main difference, then I would be VERY happy.

thanks

2. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

1- You will be able to use it to manager even dropbox/gdrive/onedrive/whatever. Nicer user interface.
    2- It depends on the app. If the application supports opening documents you will be able to open them, if not it will make a copy. By the way, this is already possible in iOS 9 and iCloud Drive.

4. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks !

apps like goodreader already uses dropbox, gdrive, etc. Even more, you can connect to smb share, webdav, etc..

BUT, if in the future all apps supports opening files without copying it (like Icloud drive but for everything that Files support), then I'll be more than happy !

5. joesegh macrumors 6502

Can anyone confirm if the way Files handles .zip archives is improved?

6. Samuel Bradshaw macrumors member

It looks like, as of now, you're able to preview the contents of a .zip file, but you can't unzip it.