not sure if my phones unlocked or if i have to unlock it

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mayank88, Apr 10, 2011.

1. mayank88 macrumors newbie

So yesterday I bought a jailbroken and supposedly unlocked used iphone 3gs but when i tried putting my mom's sim that is with Telus and my friends sim that is with bell and both of them didn't work and phone displayed "no sim installed"...since this is my first iphone i did some research and it said if cydia has ultrasn0w loaded on it then it is unlocked...i didn't find it..i did however found yellowsn0w on it and also noticed in my phones settings that it is running version 4.1...so i would really like to unlock my iphone but i have no idea what to do...do i remove yellowsn0w and install unltrasn0w on it or what? or is it already unlocked? this forum seemed to be most informative which is why i signed up here to post this

any help is appreciated....thanks

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

There are few things I would like to point out from your post;

1. You are in Canada, so we are not sure if your Iphone is factory unlock or software unlock. However, it concerns me is when you put 2 different sims in the phone and it said "No Sim Installed". This is a sign of hardware issue because the phone is not reading the SIM.
    2. If your phone is factory unlock, it doesn't matter if you have ultrasn0w installed or not. This is irrelevant. Again, you need to fix the "No sim card" message first before we can tell if your phone is unlocked or not.
    3. It will be helpful as well if you can tell us which baseband you have on your phone. If your phone has 4.1 firmware, it might have 05.14 baseband, unless whoever upgrading the firmware preserve the baseband. If it lower than 05.14, then for sure it is not factory unlock.

Let try these first and we can talk about next step.

3. mayank88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, it isn't factory unlocked, that i know for sure because the guy told me he had it done it town from the same guy who jailbroke it and if the baseband is the modem firmware, it is running 5.14.02...any idea what might the reason be for the "no sim installed issue"? is it still suppose to detect a sim card installed no matter who the provider is?

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

It is still detected sim card installed no matter who is the provider is.

5. mayank88 thread starter macrumors newbie

any idea what might be wrong with the sim card hardware because the phone is in really good condition...hmm maybe i should just go to my service provider and see if they can help me out

6. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

The problem is ultrasnow doesn't work on 5.14 baseband. Thus, the phone is not unlock. You need to return the phone or used the hacked iPad 6.15 baseband which comes with some issues, like GPS not working.