Not upgrade elibible for iPhone until June- what happens if I buy from Walmart or BB?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jschultz, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Hey all,

Maybe I'm just dumb, but...

I sold my 2g iPhone, but want the 3G. AT&T said I'm not eligible for the $199 price until June. However, what happens when I go over to Best Buy or Walmart and try to buy for $199? Will they look in the system and see I'm not eligible until June? Is my only option for getting an iPhone 3G for $199 the refurbs from the premier site (or so it seems?)

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Yes, they will both see you are not eligible for those prices.

3. Dan in PA macrumors regular

If I were you, I'd just wait to see if we'll get new hardware, then you'll be eligible for a lower price on the new iPhone. Not that I don't know what it's like going iPhone-less!;)

4. Jschultz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

It's pretty rough!

My last two 2G iPhones were pieces of junk. I don't know if I had duds, or whatever. It seems the call quality on the 3G's is a little bit better. Ah well. I'm thinking I'll just buy a refurb.

5. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Correct, as AT&T Authorized Agents, just like Apple they interface via POS to the AT&T systems to determine your current Account status and upgrade eligiblity.

You might check your local BestBuy as some locations are selling refurbished iPhones in addition to AT&T Premier Online. You might want to decide soon if you are planning to unlock as more and more of the the refurbs are starting to arrive with OS 2.2.1 and Baseband 2.30 and are not currently software unlockable and may never be as the "Dev" team is sure to focus on 3.0 :D

Dave

6. Jschultz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Is AT&T Premier online the same as having a premier account? My brother is the main account holder on our family plan, and somehow has a premier account. I didn't know Best Buy would have refurbs; have you seen them in some stores?

I'm not really interested in unlocking, as the plain jane iPhone interface suits me fine. On the AT&T premier page in my account, I see that I can buy a refurb 3G for $199, which I have no problem with. It's the shipping it out and waiting for it that makes me antsy.

Thanks for the tips!