Not waiting anymore - dropped big money on an iMac today

Discussion in 'iMac' started by i3s3d01, Oct 28, 2016.

1. i3s3d01 macrumors member

with no updates yesterday I just refuse to wait anymore. I need a new desktop for home and Windows isn't an OS that I'll even consider - so I ordered the following system today:

27" 5k iMac
    4.0GHz quad-core i7
    64GB Ram (bought it with apples stock 8gb - ordered the Ram from OWC)
    1TB flash drive
    AMD Raedon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory

It should last me a while.

I'm now shifting my focus away from constantly waiting for updates to just excitedly waiting for the new system that I need!

2. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I wish I would have bought an iMac last year as I would be content now and would be fine for the next 3-5 years. But I can't bring myself to pay for last year's tech at the end of this year knowing that a significant update is due within the next 6-12 months.

I am envious of that setup though. I really want the 2TB SSD that they're now offering...for $1400 -___-

3. i3s3d01 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I just don't need that much storage inside my machine at all times. The 1tb SSD was my way of "future proofing" - I've got more USB 3 hard drive storage than I could ever use for archival purposes.

I just couldn't stand waiting anymore. I need the machine - my deadline was this last Mac event. Now I'm just going to enjoy the machine for a while!

4. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I wish I could get the 1tb, but just paying 17% extra in eu for nothing, so have to compromise on an upgrade.
    Actually considering i might enjoy the new laptop, but that not having 500 adapters on the table ... and jstu having usb3 might be just fine

5. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I don't see a 2TB SSD option for the iMac on apple.com.

6. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

There's not, but now that the MacBook Pro has it, I know the 27" will get it in the next update and it's the storage I've always wanted. I found 1TB to be limiting.

7. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Apple just dropped the price on the 512GB and 1TB SSD by $100 on the iMacs.

8. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Hmm, so they did...I wonder what they'd charge for 2TBs?

I find my desire for a current iMac slightly increased...

9. ndolebay macrumors member

ndolebay

I am using a 10-year old notebook, still capable of most tasks.

computer techs didn't improve as fast as we thought.

5-10% of improvement at most i guess.

10. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Stop smoking whatever you're smoking dude.

11. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Save money and buy it refurb'd off Apple.com. That is what I did, saved close to $500.

12. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I'm fairly certain that CPU performance has increased by greater than 10% in 10 years. Can you even run a modern web browser on 10 year old hardware?

13. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

14. ndolebay macrumors member

ndolebay

I mean, each year :)

Yes, I run chrome on my IBM T60 (Changed hard disk to SSD) , very fast.

15. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Oh, yes. Over the last several years in particular the CPU hasn't dramatically changed. They've focused more on energy efficiency and graphics. I'm sure that my Late 2013 could hold its own against the new models for CPU takes, but the Polaris chips are (I assume) much more powerful than my 750M

16. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

They seriously did? Since when, today?
    [edit]
    Nope, the total price to the 1tb upgrade ssd is still the same in the dutch store, compared to a month ago.

17. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

In the US store it has lowered by $100. Maybe what you are seeing is related to the exchange rate. The price drop happened just after the event when the online store was back.

18. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Bummer. Another $100 they gain from me, I am paying for AIR on this release.. sigh.

19. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I just looked and the 2TB SSD option is $1200 for the 15" MacBook Pro. When I searched the web there isn't a lot of info about pricing on 2TB m.2 pcie SSD. The one I could find lists the Samsung one at $1299 which was dated about 1 week ago.

When did you see it priced at $1400?

20. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

bolt3 from lacie is 2tb, and thunderbolt3, for 2000 $ (external)

21. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

And the prices go up from there to over $6K.

22. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Yeah, but i was just giving it as a comparison example of 2tb prices for ssd

23. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

It depends on the model, if you upgrade the lower end model to 2 TB it cost $1400.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

I'mthinking of doing the same - although just going 32gb on memory. Amazing that for the same 8gb-16gb upgrade on Apple's site ($200) you can go from 7gb -> 32GB using OWC. So glad Apple has user-replaceable memory on the 27" 5K iMacs!

25. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Same exact boat with me. I waited till the event, nothing, so I'm not waiting anymore. Here are my specs:

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
    • 4.0GHz QC i7, TB up to 4.2GHz
    • 8GB 1867MHz DDR3L (2x4GB)
    • 512GB Flash Storage
    • AMD Radeon R9 M390 w/2G
    I went with the 512 flash, because I have a 480 gig SSD in my current Mac Mini, and that's more than enough storage for my machine. (I have a 4TB NAS on the network for most of my really big stuff.) Now that I've had an SSD, I can't go back to a regular HD. It's like trying to go back to dialup after being on Broadband for years - not gonna happen :)

I bought an extra 16 gigs from OWC (so 24 gigs total to start) same day, so I'll be all set when the computer comes in (I've only ever had 16 gigs RAM on any machine previously, so having 24 will be a nice boost.)

This will also be my first ever iMac - I've never been thrilled with all-in-one computers, worrying about what happens if the screen dies, leaving me without a machine, but I have 2 safeguards: I'm getting Applecare on it, and I'm keeping my Mini with a small Mac partition, so I can boot back if I ever need it. It will otherwise become my new Ubuntu box so I can get back to having a Linux server on my network, which I haven't had in a long time.

That's the best I could afford at this point, and should really last me many good years (why I went with the i7 - future proofing, although having the extra speed at the beginning will also be great anyway.)

I, also, hated the idea of buying last year's tech, when Kaby Lake seems so close, but I can't wait any longer - even though my Mini has an SSD, and boots/loads software quickly, in most other respects, it's still getting slower. The graphics card can barely keep up when I switch Youtube videos anymore.

Upgrading to Sierra *did* help, believe it or not - I Geekbenched before the update (from Mavericks), and it runs slightly faster on Sierra, so I'm happy that I updated. El Capitan slowed it down, which is why I was hesitant to try upgrading the OS again. The only bad thing about upgrading is that I lost my hack to use some of my RAM towards the GPU memory. It was something I found on Macrumors, and I found it again, but it refused to take, so something must've changed in the new OS.

So November 8th is the big day (and the RAM should arrive a day or two earlier), I can't *WAIT* to finally have a nice fast machine again - looking forward to the iMac experience :D